Starter bike for racing

gingernash
gingernash Posts: 123
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Here is the background:

I bought a Spesh Allez Elite 6 months ago which I have been using for long weekend rides and sportives. However I have now turned it into a commuter so therefore am looking for a nice bike for sportives and weekend rides. I have half an eye on starting racing next year.

My budget is about 1500 - 2000 but the key sticking point I am having is about groupset.

Will I really need/want Ultegra over 105?

Within that price range I could have:

- Cayo with Ultegra at 1500

- Cube Agree with 105 at 1450 or with Ultegra at 1800

- Build one up from Ribble for the same sort of cash

- Cannondale SuperSix for 2000 with 105.

I am starting to wise up to importance of wheels too.

Therefore there is a good range of stuff I can have in that price bracket, I just wondered what the tipping point is for most people (although I know can be personal).

Would be grateful to hear views!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What kind of racing ? I'd not spend a huge amount on a bike for 4th cat bunch racing. 2 grand would prob be OTT for what you need it for.

Ultegra will last longer and be a bit smoother than your 105 - but theres no real advantage in it for what you need. Its a lot cheaper to replace a 105 bit than ultegra anyway.

What you really need to do is ride the bikes and see what you prefer. Its pointless me telling you what I like - everyones different, and there arent really any 'dogs' at that price level.
  • Yes probably just 4th category stuff to be honest
  • gingernash wrote:

My budget is about 1500 - 2000 but the key sticking point I am having is about groupset.

Will I really need/want Ultegra over 105?
    What you really need is SRAM :wink:
    Seriously though, I'd get down to some shops and try some stuff out.
    To be perfectly honest the Allez Elite would be fine for racing.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • The Allez could well be but it is now doing the commute so would prefer to have a special/nice bike for sportives/events etc.
  • Cycling weekly did a feature on off the peg race bikes and a De Rosa came up tops.

Personally, I would stick with the Allez for the 4th cat races, and splash out on a nice set of wheels. Aluminium is ideal for racing as it is super stiff. You will probably crash at some point, and the Allez will survive better than a carbon frame. The wheels will actually make you faster, and you can put them on the new bike when you get it - as a reward for getting your 3rd cat license :D
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross