£1000 on C2W scheme to spend woo hoo!!

Shishman
Shishman Posts: 40
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Hello everybody. My company has just signed up to the Halfords Cycle2 work scheme but I have a dilemma and would like some expert advice please on what to spend my grand on.

The scheme site says that Halfords can source other brands other than their own so I have narrowed my choices to the following as my commute will be 75% off road and 25% on road:

1. Boardman CX Pro (limited stock tho)
2. Scott CX Comp 2011
3. Specialized Tricross Sport 2011

Thanks for any help and advice.

Comments

• [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    I have recently picked up my Boardman Pro CX via the C2W scheme. I couldn't find much about it in advance bar a couple of reviews but it is great.

I've used it for road rides, road/pt combo and gravel/mud off road. It'll have panniers on it later in the year for some touring and currently is my favourite bike in the shed (out of 7).

I think it is very good, light weight sturdy enough (sensible wheels) and in my case well assembled (little touches like lining up tyres and valves). Brakes are good enough but I'll probably swap out the pads in due course.

BUT they are like hens teeth, I got one from Scotland shipped to a store near me, however there will be a new one in April.

At the moment I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Tim
  • Thanks Tim.

There are 2 near me in different stores so hopefully once my collection letter comes through they will still be there.

Keep everything crossed for me.

Thanks again.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd get the Boardman, if they're like the rest of their bikes it'll be the best for the money, and I've got a Boardman MTB that I'm chuffed with.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Shishman wrote:
    Thanks Tim.

There are 2 near me in different stores so hopefully once my collection letter comes through they will still be there.

Keep everything crossed for me.

Thanks again.
    When I worked at Halfords it was annoying when people that had a LOC came to buy a specific bike only to find it was no longer available. They would then generally shout at me & say it was somehow my fault that the bike was unavailable, or the price had changed.
    I would always tell people who wanted a C2W bike to reserve it before applying for the voucher.
    Go & reserve the bike, leave a refundable cash deposit, or prepare to be disappointed. Ask the person you deal with to print out a copy of your order & stick it on the box of your bike so no one else sells it if there's a stock error.
    Whilst your there ask them for the C2W 08700 phone number if you want to confirm they can source Scott/Specialized if they're your 2nd choice, because not every manufacturer would send us bikes.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I'd def take the Boardman over the Tricross. Alternatively, if you fancy something a bit special, the Halfords in Putney has a Voodoo Limba 58cm frame in stock. That's a seriously nice CX bike (although I seem to break the frames with alarming frequency).

They've had it ages and could probably be knocked down £200.
  • Anybody have ridden or opinions on the Scott CX Comp please?
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    "75% off road" :shock:

That's commited, I tend to struggle making decent progress in winter if there is loose gravel or mud on the road, let alone proper off-road stuff! The thought of doing anthing other than a short distance off-road as a commute would fill me with fear!

Rufus.
  • I just want to get away from cars, vans etc and to spice up my ride. I have been away from cycling for a while so still trying to get fit and trim again so need a challenge! :D

A cyclocross bike is just what I need and a C2W scheme as well but there are so many bikes out there for under a grand I am a wee bit spoilt for choice :?
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    OT I'm on my second voucher and have just ordered a Kinesis Tk2 in cherry. Boom! Get in.