I'm not starting anything but...

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,683
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Forward to 6:30

http://www.youtube.com/user/1stdrive#p/u/23/MNN0cXmTb1o

(If nothing else they re very cute! talk of assault is rubbish though, but the mystery cyclist was an idiot)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Certainly, I've seen idiots on one wheel, more on two wheels and far, far, more on four. But the fact that they allowed primary school children out onto a zebra crossing in the face of rampaging cyclists puts the whole thing in perspective. They wouldn't have dared do that on the 4x4 school run.
  • My God, Mr. Andrew whats-his-face in his Cherokee is ripe for a heart attack, isn't he?

What a tool! :lol:

With regards to the red-light jumpers, though, I can only agree with everything they say. All sounds fair to me. If someone hit my kid on a crossing 'cause they'd run the light I can safely say I'd be just as furious about it as the chap on the video!

Anyway, this has been done to death so I'll shut up now....
  • ddraver
    ketka82 wrote:
    My God, Mr. Andrew whats-his-face in his Cherokee is ripe for a heart attack, isn't he?

What a tool! :lol:
    :lol::lol: hee hee I loved him too! Everything is everyone else's fault!
    - @ddraver
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "Children are relying on the green man to be safe and thats the time when cyclists are coming at them at speed and thats when they hit them or there have been a lot of near collisions as well"

This woman clearly knows what she's talking about and has a legitimate concern that she's trying to address in a rational manner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNN0cXmT ... age#t=400s

I would be pissed off if these kids were on my commute in. How many cyclists were they protesting at would have stopped at the light anyway? The parents have the opinion that "all cyclists run red lights" so this is effectively a protest aimed at everyone on a bike. That would be infuriating...
  • notsoblue
    Gah, what an egregious programme that was... They even likened cyclists to 4x4 drivers near the end. Quality television...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Should I watch this? Or will I be angry?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    My favourite bit was "We counted 60 a day... That's 300 in a week!"

Is it? Wow you can do maths! We'll overlook the likely explanation that it's the same 60 doing it each day on their commute because 300 sounds much more scary.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    My favourite bit was "We counted 60 a day... That's 300 in a week!"

Is it? Wow you can do maths! We'll overlook the likely explanation that it's the same 60 doing it each day on their commute because 300 sounds much more scary.

Wow! 300 potential child fatalities. IN A WEEK!
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    You'd get angry. But it would be at the RLJs for making these people come out and criticise you unfairly. ;)
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    You'd get angry. But it would be at the RLJs for making these people come out and criticise you unfairly. ;)

Oh goody, sounds like a laugh.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    notsoblue wrote:
    Gah, what an egregious programme that was... They even likened cyclists to 4x4 drivers near the end. Quality television...

I too thought the kids were quite annoying.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    To be fair if a RLJ hits someone he deserves to be handed to the police. No worries about that.

The cyclist at 6:24 who was obviously intending to jump and who then shakes his head at 6:40 annoys me. "How stupid of these children to protest at me being an arse*

Jump under a bus my friend, jump under a bus.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Just checked through the highway code after watching this

Crossings

At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should

* always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing
    * always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not cross at the side of the crossing or on the zig-zag lines, as it can be dangerous

You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.

[Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)]

The kids are clearly loitering...

Edit to add: That crossing is very close to me on a nice fast section of the CS7 and it does seem to have a particularly high number of RLJers compared to most crossings/ junctions. As far as I'm concerned a red light is a red light, no matter what.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • ddraver
    rjsterry wrote:
    My favourite bit was "We counted 60 a day...

I'm not quite sure I see your point tbh, I don't know where it is but from my time in London I'd say 60 cyclists a day would be small fayre!!

I don't think it was bad, if anything it was dull because they worked so so hard not to criticize anyone in particular, even involving Jeep Man - you have to watch all 6 to get this balance though....

watching people RLJ used to p*ss me off when i was there too!! i never saw any of the police operations they feature out stopping it either...
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    ddraver wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    My favourite bit was "We counted 60 a day...

I'm not quite sure I see your point tbh, I don't know where it is but from my time in London I'd say 60 cyclists a day would be small fayre!!

I don't think it was bad, if anything it was dull because they worked so so hard not to criticize anyone in particular, even involving Jeep Man - you have to watch all 6 to get this balance though....

watching people RLJ used to p*ss me off when i was there too!! i never saw any of the police operations they feature out stopping it either...

To be clear, I'm very much anti RLJ as you can see (if you have trouble sleeping) by looking at my posts on the various RLJ threads. My point was that multiplying the daily count of RLJs at that crossing by 5 to make the number sound more impressive was entirely spurious - nobody spends all week using that crossing - and further undermined what was already a slightly hysterical report.

RLJing through a crossing full of school children is thoughtless, obnoxious and dangerous, but kitting seven-year-olds out with hi-viz and placards and telling them to stand in the road is fighting idiocy with more idiocy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    rjsterry wrote:
    RLJing through a crossing full of school children is thoughtless, obnoxious and dangerous, but kitting seven-year-olds out with hi-viz and placards and telling them to stand in the road is fighting idiocy with more idiocy.

I'm generally okay with RLJing but totally agree with this.

So the parents//teachers are encouraging the kids to walk out repeatedly onto a supposedly dangerous crossing? + The kids don't seem to have the cloaking device that kids on the bbc news do that allows them to emit a fuzzy field around themselves?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • hfidgen
    Actually I think good for the kids. If some of them have been knocked down I'm sure they've had some input on this decision, it's not parenting gone mad.

RLJ is a plague, and it's going to attract reporting like this until there is a law passed or somehow we cyclists make it taboo and shame the idiots who do it into stopping. I don't actually think we have a collective leg to stand on.

For those here who say "oh the occasional RLJ is OK" then you're feeding this perception of the arrogant arsehole cyclist too! Just stop at the lights, it's not rocket science, even white vans and taxis are known to do it!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • W1
    hfidgen wrote:
    To be fair if a RLJ hits someone he deserves to be handed to the police. No worries about that.

The cyclist at 6:24 who was obviously intending to jump and who then shakes his head at 6:40 annoys me. "How stupid of these children to protest at me being an ars**

Jump under a bus my friend, jump under a bus.

Ditto to the RLJer who hit me this morning.

Yellow road bike, slower than my 70 year old mother.

Be ashamed.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I too thought the kids were quite annoying.

Not as annoying as the RLJers. they were after all only standing up for their right to cross the road on a green light without some pillock coming at them at speed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, we cannot complain at the bad habits of other motorists if we condone cycists that RLJ, also as all cyclists are now unfairly labelled as RLJ's by default now (it seems) we all suffer from the actions of what I still think is a relatively small number of moron's who put us all at risk. Lets all obey the law, be seen to be doing it and give ourselves a stronger hand when we complain about other road users.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I agree, we cannot complain at the bad habits of other motorists if we condone cycists that RLJ, also as all cyclists are now unfairly labelled as RLJ's by default now (it seems) we all suffer from the actions of what I still think is a relatively small number of moron's who put us all at risk. Lets all obey the law, be seen to be doing it and give ourselves a stronger hand when we complain about other road users.

Simon

Spot on!!!!!
  • notsoblue

Simon

When was the last time anyone on this forum condoned RLJ?
  • hfidgen
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I'm generally okay with RLJing but totally agree with this.

I don't think you'll find "RLJ is great, everyone should do it"

But we've got plenty of "but it's OK on occasion if there's no one crossing". This is really the issue - even "white hat" cyclists get tempted, and add to the problem. The guy in the car behind might be thinking "fair enough", but it appears more and more people are thinking "wait like the rest of us".

Up until the past month or so I was prone to crossing reds if I was getting bored stiff waiting for something to use the crossing, but now I do just sit there. And sit... and sit... and sit...
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Joe public seems to be increasingly accusing all cyclists of jumping red lights. Not surprisingly many of us here who don't jump lights take offence at the accusation. How often though do we also hear posters here pigeon holing white van man, school run mums, taxi drivers and even all car drivers. Poor road users are a collection of individuals who are occasionally or frequently crap and or selfish at what they are doing, not because they are cyclists or van drivers or because they drive the kids to school.
  • merkin wrote:
    How often though do we also hear posters here....

When?
  • ddraver
    hfidgen wrote:
    but now I do just sit there. And sit... and sit... and sit...

Trackstand Practice dude! :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • I'm a cyclist and a 4x4 driver, I must be really evil.
    2012 CAAD10 RS80 C24

Felt rxc pro,Pace RC31,Hope Pro2, DT Swiss 4.2d,XTR,mono minis,Thomson,Ritchey WCS,fizik,Easton monkeylite sl,speedking supersonics,and my 2 Titanium/Ceramic hip replacements!

Custom Langster Fixie
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dmr-kev wrote:
    I'm a cyclist and a 4x4 driver, I must be really evil.

Burn him!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dmr-kev wrote:

Burn him!!!

Gawd. I'm screwed. Cyclist, Audi driver and it's a quattro....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dmr-kev wrote:

Burn him!!!

Gawd. I'm screwed. Cyclist, Audi driver and it's a quattro....

I used to be all 3 of those too. now just 2 of them .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png