Alfine 11 Performance Hybrid Build

technut
technut Posts: 19
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Just completed my Alfine 11 performance hybrid, built-up from a bare metal frame. Did a test ride on the PDX river trail. It performed perfectly, very smooth, responsive, and extremely quiet. It shifts and handles like a BMW. I was disapointed that the BB external cups partially cover the hex adjustment holes on the excentric shell. For a frame that's designed to use the Alfine parts it seems an oversight. Perhaps Felt doesn't use the BB that comes with the crank. Feels good as a 45/20, but have yet to ride any good hills. Special thanks to Veloce Bicycles, River City Bicycles, and Universal Cycles for helping to gather the parts. Here's the build:
Frame - Felt X-City Aluminum with Excentric Bottom Shell
Fork - Winwood Muddy Carbon Fiber
Paint - Dupli-Color Automotive Self Etching Primer, Laquer, & Clear Coat
Headset - Cane Creek
Crank - Shimano Alfine 45t
Pedals - Shimano PD-A530 Combo
Chain - KMC X9.93
Rear Hub - Shimano Alfine 11 20t Disc
Wheels - Velocity Deep V
Tires - Continental Top Contact
Breaks - Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc
Stem - Ritchey Comp
Bars - Easton EC70 Carbon Fiber
Grips - PDW Dapper Dan Ergo
Shifter - Shimano Alfine 11
Seat Post - Cane Creek Thud Buster
Saddle - Skye

See photos at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2070834&id=1466625758&l=12105dfd3e

Technut

Comments

• Cool! Goes all the way up to 11!

What are your first impressions?
  • My first impression is that the Alfine hub is pretty darned incredible. You can get up to speed fast with just one or two cranks in each gear. There is a slight gap between first and second, but if it's setup right, you won't often be starting in first. You'll feel a small click from the shifter (that's a good thing), otherwise there's no noise from the hub unless you pedal backwards making it ratchet. The SLX breaks are the easiest I have dealt with on installation and bleeding. Weighing in at 29 pounds, the bike is somewhat light considering what it is. The carbon fork & bars help to offset the weight of the hub, seatpost, and disc breaks. My first hurdle was acquiring an aluminum frame with disc mounts and an excentric BB shell. I didn't like the geometry or the horizontal dropouts of the Civia. Felt and Swobo wouldn't sell thier frame. I finally found a Felt frame that was a warranty miss-order, which I stripped and painted. The next big hurdle was waiting for the hub to hit the US market. The Alfine 11 was a lot like the Verizon IPhone with it's leaks, rumors, suposition, and then finally a grand entrance. What great examples of building "Market Anticipation". Now I have to go to work, to pay for this build.

Technut
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I've got the Giant Seek 0 with the 8 speed Alfine.

I love it. The bike looks ace and as you say, the shifting allows you to get up to a good speed quickly.

The low-maintenance aspect for a geared bike is also a bonus.

PS - love yours, a really well put-together bike - not seen too many of those seatposts, must save your backside :)