Pico de Veleta (Sierra Nevada, Spain)

Garrigou
Garrigou Posts: 145
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Any of you good folks know during what part of the year this is rideable? On a road bike. Without having to fit ice tyres. Ta very much.
Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have been there mid may and was completely covered in snow..... so assuming, July/August...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I've been twice in September. Completely clear one time, a few trackside patches of snow the other time (immediately past the col, on the Capilera track)
  • The Pico Veleta sportive is usually early July (9th this year to be exact). You should be able to get up then, even though there may be 3-4 metres of snow either side of the road! If the weather stays good, it's even clearer in September/October.
    The sportive is taking place the same day as El Limite this year, so there's the 40km Pico climb starting in Granada, 145km with 4000m of climbing which finishes at the ski station, or 157km with over 5000m of climbing finishing at Pico Veleta, just in case you're interested!

Whatever you do, enjoy it, it's stunning!!
    Sarah
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Thanks, All - much appreciated.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Anybody know best way to enter El Limite? Or can you just enter on the day?

Thanks

Steve
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    Hi there
    Here's the website for inscribing into El Limite

http://www.sierranevadalimiteroad.es/

You can email us directly if you have any questions that the website doesn't answer.
    Sarah