Brompton bar ends / grips

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations?

The rubbish foamy grips that came as standard are well and truly knackered so need replacing. I fancy some micro bar ends too. Any recommnedations from fellow Brompton owners.

Ergon seem to do grips with built in bar ends but no idea if these will fit the Brommie or not without effecting the folding. Alternative get some bar ends and better grips seperately. Nothing too flash just something that does the job.

Thanks
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    still using the original ones, they're fine for me so far

This post was brought to you by 'nothing to add' and 'pity reply'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Titec Micro bar ends fit fine on my Brompton. They're not too small or too large. Folding is not affected. What bars do you have? Mine are the M-type angled very slightly forward. I can't remember if I have changed the grips this time. I did on my last one which was stolen. Also fit some SPDs as well. They make a world of difference.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • t4tomo
    The straight flats ones - S-type isn't it?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • dilemna
    t4tomo wrote:
    The straight flats ones - S-type isn't it?

You'll just have to suck it and see so to speak. I wouldn't have thought there would have been much difference as the bars are still at much the same height as the S bar bike has a longer stem to compensate. I don't see why they wouldn't fit S types bars as they do the M type. Perhaps some one with the flat S bars who has fitted bar ends can offer advice. But I don't think there would be a problem with the Titec Micros. They are quite a good price as well.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • t4tomo
    Cheers - agree shouldn't be any diff between M & S. Just need to source some grips now, I have a feeling brommies need shorter than normal grips due to position of brake levers
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • dilemna
    t4tomo wrote:
    Cheers - agree shouldn't be any diff between M & S. Just need to source some grips now, I have a feeling brommies need shorter than normal grips due to position of brake levers

Yes and no. You can either cut the grips down with a nice sharp Stanley knife or pair of large sharp scissors or move the brake/gear levers. But bear in mind you should sill have enough space to get your hand comfortablly on the grip and operate the levers safely. The important thing about new grips is obviously to get the correct diameter. The size of your hands will also affect the space and width of grip you need.
  • t4tomo
    Ended up getting some Woodman micro bar ends which are pretty good. Small and light but give you a decent grip position. ordered some foam brommie grips through evans, which took an age to come but very easy to taylor with a craft knife to accomodate the bar ends.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98