The quiet peleton

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited February 2011 in Pro race
I think you can compare the relative silence from pro's regarding Bertie and LA to that of people in the music industry to Michael Jackson in "93. I don't remember hearing a great deal of dissent. My point is that this isn't a 'cycling thing'.

It may have been the case in the past that the peloton was 'all for one and one for all' but nowadays I wonder if things have changed.
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What happened to Jackson in '93?
  • josame
    Inappropriate behaviour...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    josame wrote:
    Inappropriate behaviour...

Err, granted I was only 5 in '93 but I'm pretty sure said accusation was dismissed as false?

Seems you're being uncessarrily slanderous in your analogy?
  • josame
    there are no guilty parties in my analogy that's why I used it
  • rick_chasey
    :?

From what I can see they seem not remotely related.

Cycling's a sport with a well known history of organised doping, which it has never really shaken. The latest doping accusations are nothing new or surprising given the history, and indeed, are probably expected.

The Michael Jackson thing was pretty different. It was someone accusing him of child sexual abuse which is a) plenty worse and b) proven to be completely wrong.
  • josame
    ok the guilt or innocence is not the issue - my point was

This silence is not confined to cycling but also raising the broader point of whether it is really sinister or just a group dynamic
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't it more just a case of not wanting to get involved?

No-one really knows what's going on - from what Landis said he barely knew what was occuring when he tested positive - so why risk landing in hot water?

It's just self preservation, not anything more sinister.
  • josame
    personnaly I also agree that it isn't sinister
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Cycling's a sport with a well known history of organised doping, which it has never really shaken. The latest doping accusations are nothing new or surprising given the history, and indeed, are probably expected.

The Michael Jackson thing was pretty different. It was someone accusing him of child sexual abuse which is a) plenty worse and b) proven to be completely wrong.

It was not proven to have been completely wrong , he gave the family of his accuser at the time over 20 million dollars to avoid a legal case so you can draw your own conclusions from that.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chasey
    Moray Gub wrote:

It was not proven to have been completely wrong , he gave the family of his accuser at the time over 20 million dollars to avoid a legal case so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

From what I heard, the accusor gave a description of jackson's penis, and that proved to be a very wrong description. The impression I get is a particularly episode of someone praying on a very rich but mentally unstable man who would rather throw $20 million away than go through the stress of a trial.

Either way, it's not a comparable annecdote.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Moray Gub wrote:

The conclusion I draw is that I wouldn't take $20 million dollars from a man who had got their nob out in front of my son (if I had one). So I always assumed it was someone trying to make a bit of cash.

I think the group dynamic in the peloton is nothing like the music industry. I'd use Oasis as an example of this. They slagged off nearly every other group that existed and were still able to make a lot of money whilst initially being signed to a relatively minor label. Such a scenario would be impossible in cycling because you wouldn't win any races.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:

From what I heard, the accusor gave a description of jackson's penis, and that proved to be a very wrong description. The impression I get is a particularly episode of someone praying on a very rich but mentally unstable man who would rather throw $20 million away than go through the stress of a trial.

As you do eh !
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Moray Gub wrote:

As you do eh !

A 'very wrong' description!!!! The mind boggles.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Moray Gub wrote:

Yep - Jacko was a kiddy fiddler like LA was a doper. Some things don't need to be proved in a court of law.

Shamon.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't believe it, a few days away and I find that instead of arguing about Lance, Bertie and doping we're arguing about Whacko, quality this forum is. Earlier today I was looking at the very hotel where he dangled one of his kids over the balcony.

Come on though, he was a sad sod with no idea how to relate to adults, hence the child friends, but I don't for one moment think he was Garry Glitter.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I think the analogy is appropriate - both involve huge amounts of money to make "allegations" go away. Whereas Jacko paid off the parents, Lance just got his Uncle Tom to pay-off Hein and Pat. The trouble for Bertie was that clearly all the alligences had already been "bought"
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • moray_gub
    dougzz wrote:
    I don't believe it, a few days away and I find that instead of arguing about Lance, Bertie and doping we're arguing about Whacko, quality this forum is. Earlier today I was looking at the very hotel where he dangled one of his kids over the balcony.

Come on though, he was a sad sod with no idea how to relate to adults, hence the child friends, but I don't for one moment think he was Garry Glitter.

I think this he cant relate to adults line was a bit of smokescreen put out by his aides to cover up the basic fact on occasions he slept with young boys who were not his own children ............deeply disturbing .
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Moray Gub wrote:

I think this he cant relate to adults line was a bit of smokescreen put out by his aides to cover up the basic fact on occasions he slept with young boys who were not his own children ............deeply disturbing .

But how can we really know Moray? He never tested positive for this in a court of law so how can you throw this accusation at him, I thought you didn't approve of the the court of public opinion. You can't have a pop at Whacko unless you have a pop at all the other similar losers out there with their entourages placing the stories to try and control public opinion.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    dougzz wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

But how can we really know Moray? He never tested positive for this in a court of law so how can you throw this accusation at him, I thought you didn't approve of the the court of public opinion. You can't have a pop at Whacko unless you have a pop at all the other similar losers out there with their entourages placing the stories to try and control public opinion.

Too bad he's not with us any more, we could have sent dennis to sit down and have a beer with him. We'd have know for sure then.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I think the analogy is appropriate - both involve huge amounts of money to make "allegations" go away. Whereas Jacko paid off the parents, Lance just got his Uncle Tom to pay-off Hein and Pat. The trouble for Bertie was that clearly all the alligences had already been "bought"

You've just re-invented the analogy. Originally the comparison was about how few fellow musicians commented on his alleged kiddy-fiddling. Not about how he paid money to make things go away.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Therefore I deduce that Filippo Simeoni and Jarvis Cocker are the same man and I claim my £5.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What a strange thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • moray_gub
    dougzz wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

He admitted he slept with children that were not his so right away he has a massive problem as in most societies that is not an acceptable thing to be doing and so the easy way out is to trot out the old he cant handle adults line which enabled some warped individuals to defend this behavhiour. Oh for sure he was great entertainer but behind all that was a dark dark individual and no matter how good he could dance and sing that should not detract from the kind of character he was.