Specialized Tarmac Elite SL2 v Specialized Roubaix Elite SL2

CrazySmudge
CrazySmudge Posts: 137
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Afternoon

Looking for a new bike this season and was recommended both of these bikes and wondered what you all thought of them?

I compete in triathalons, sprint and standard distance (20km to 40km), and planning entering into some road races this year.

From reading some reiviews the Tarmac is very quick but not comfortable over long distances where as the Roubaix is very comfortable but not as quick as the Tarmac. Is this true? Do I need to think of comfort over these distances?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Comments

• If its only 40k then you really do not need to worry about comfort!

But then it depends on what sort of level you are competing as to whether a few seconds on time due to aerodynamics etc justifies the extra you spend.
  • they are both the same price £1645

that was question - do I need to worry about comfort over 40Km and is the Tarmac a lot quicker?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Conventional wisdom would say get the Tarmac for racing over those distances; getting an efficient aero position is important in TT and Tri where you're not in a bunch / drafting.

In practice, I suspect either could be set up to suit your size / shape / riding position.

If you're spending that kind of money, make sure you get a good bike fit to go with it.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited February 2011
    I have a Tarmac (2008, almost identical geometry I believe) and cannot fault the comfort and I have a dodgy back and neck and that's doing rides way over 40k. As long as the fitting is correct and you look after yourself, you should have no problems. I can't vouch for the Roubaix, but the Tarmac is lightning quick.
    Hope that helps.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Is the tarmac the same Geo as the Allez (allbeit in Carbon, not Alu)?, if so, then you've got no worries with comfort over 40km on it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just bear in mind that the rider is the main determinant in how fast a bike goes!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    keef66 wrote:
    Just bear in mind that the rider is the main determinant in how fast a bike goes!

And how comfortable it is...
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    tarmac is just a much more aggressive bike, where as the roubaix is still a great racing bike but its much more suited to long distance rides, not at home at all in sprints.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    When people talk about comfort are they talking about riding position and the comfort that affords over a longer distance or the feedback from the road, through the frame/fork/wheels etc?
    Sorry to the OP for jumping on his thread but i'm in the process of buying my second bike and this is a valid post for me. I want a bike for Tri's but also want to do longer rides (80-100mile) on it. I have looked at a Tarmac for this purpose.
    Thanks
  • If they are non drafting then surely you need a TT bike? Oh, and the Tarmac for training on.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    When people talk about comfort are they talking about riding position and the comfort that affords over a longer distance or the feedback from the road, through the frame/fork/wheels etc?
    Both - the tarmac has a more aggressive riding position, shorter wheelbase and does not have the zertz inserts which the roubaix has - these allegedly filtering out some of the road buzz. For 100 mile rides, the roubaix should be more comfortable however, you may prefer the rawer/ more alive feel of the tarmac.

Peter
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    My my - I made a right mess of the quote thing!!
  • thanks for the advice guys

I was told the Tarmac was faster but the riding style has to be more aggressive. So is the Roubaix more suited to the long distance racing and not short sprints? I cannot afford a tri bike and a training bike so I want to get a bike I can train on and race with. I have looked at other bikes Specialized Allez Comp 2011 Road Bike but this not Carbon - please correct me if I am wrong but I assume for short races where speed is vital I should get get a carbon bike?

one last question how does the Boardman Road Pro Carbon compare?