Rider Down A23

Hairybuddha
Hairybuddha Posts: 59
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Passed what looked like a bad one just before Oval Tube this morning at around 9am. Looked like a collision between a cyclist and a container truck of some kind. Bike was smashed to bits and there was lots of debris around. Anyone have details?

Really sobering riding past something like that. Hope that the rider is OK.....

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    So that's why the road was closed this morning.

Also cyclist down on Brixton Road near the tube station. Rider looked conscious and being attended to.

Hope both ok.
  • Didn't see the one at Brixton tube when I passed. Always a nightmare going Northbound through there in the morning with the buses and the lemming peds. Thankfully the speeds tend to be quite low given the congestion.
  • chipolopolo
    chipolopolo Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    I saw the accident on Brixton Road at the top near Kennington Cross. Saw a mangled bike, victim on stretcher and a blue fuel type lorry parked up when passing around 8am. Lots of police and an ambulance with both directions cordoned off.

2 accidents on one road in one morning, worrying.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    That doesn't sound good. Hope all involved are ok.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I went past at 8:45 (Brixton road) and it looked a bad one.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Road still closed according to the BBC, not very good indication...... :(
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    https://www.lfgss.com/thread58798.html

Sounds messy but thankfully no fatality by these accounts.
    Spoke to a policeman at the site on brixton road who said the riders leg is mashed. Road was closed all morning. Policeman said that a bus AND a petrol tanker were both involved .

Saw the bike (and photographed it), it had blood on the stays, the saddle was ripped off and the back of the bike was mangled

Wishing the rider a speedy recovery
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Yup - Good to see. Looked pretty grim.

There's a thread over on Commuting General with a witness saying he tried to go down a gap between a truck and a bus. Very tempting at that section where the traffic bunches up but never a good plan.