Some OT advice needed

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
If you read the rant thread you'll have seen my little rant.

I have been working on site for the past month and for a few months before christmas and I am really not liking it. I agreed to come and work on site to help out the company I used to work for, they had a lot of work to catch up on and it made things easier if I was in the same location.

Now however the pressure is off and the work is back to how it was when I worked here full time (less of the coding but plenty of waiting for clients). And I seem to have become just another employee but without the benefits employees get.

I want this contract over with frankly. But how do I say that without souring the relationship I have with the company.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    So, you are contracting - therefore your rates should be good and make up for the lack of employee benefits?

or did you take a low daily rate just to get the job?
  • suzyb
    Flat fee for the month. No doubt lower than I should be getting, and probably not much more (if any) than they would be paying a full time employee but I just said yes to their first offer.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Unless it's an exclusive contract, you might need to do some hours for someone else. That could be used as a 'will you be needing me next week, as I have someone else who is asking for me?' way in to moving on without hurting anyone's feelings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • suzyb
    It's not exclusive but I think the boss knows I don't have a lot on. I'm quite rubbish at this freelancing thing tbh.

I did do the "someone else is needing me" thing before christmas but only ended up with an extended christmas break as I was asked back last month. I though this would be the last, especially since I've not been all that busy but evidently not :?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Suggest you forget feelings - business is business. Move onto another contract, as RJSTerry says "Will you need me next week". Don't hang about - they will keep you on a string for a while as that is a very cheap way of employing you and risk free for them.

I have several contractors working for me at the moment. I have offered 1 of them a permanent role as I could not guarentee him another 6 months work and I don't want to lose him - he is considering it. The other people I generally extend by 3 months of terminate with 3 weeks notice (I am nice aren't I!)

Play the game, don't let them just string you along with a week or month here and there.
  • Make a little spread sheet with an VB update button that calculates how much you have earned since you last pressed it and also has totals since you started.

I found that this made a rubbish contract much more enjoyable.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • suzyb wrote:
    It's not exclusive but I think the boss knows I don't have a lot on. I'm quite rubbish at this freelancing thing tbh.

I did do the "someone else is needing me" thing before christmas but only ended up with an extended christmas break as I was asked back last month. I though this would be the last, especially since I've not been all that busy but evidently not :?
    Are you addressing the correct thing? It seems to me from what I've read above, that you would be better asking for advice on effective freelancing. Once you have alternative options available, then turning around to your current employer/contract partner will be easier and you won't feel awkward moving on because you won't be stretching the truth (lying) about the other work.

I understand your concerns about maintaining a good relationship, as it could lead to further work. But, as said above, it is a business relationship. There is nothing wrong with you having clarity about what is expected, nor in you raising concerns about your current role. Just do it as someone who is concerned and wants the best for both parties. There is no need to be exploited by them.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If you just don't like the work then more money or better conditions won't change anything so move on, but if the unhappiness is more related to the fact that you aren't getting just rewards then renegoiate. You sound bitter that you ripped yourself off by asking for so little.

However you must come up with reasons as it why you specifically are worth having, and find metrics that stand up. Nebulous long-winded reasons about doing a good job or working hard aren't a reason. If you saved X amount of money, or completed work Y days early or increased revenue then you have a really solid case for saying giving me an extra £50 a day is good for you because I bring in £100 more for the firm.

I've badgered several friends into just asking for more money, and they actually got it. Of course they wish that they'd done it a year early.

You can also leave on good terms by raising your price. Tell them that you wanted to help them out (hence the current rate), but now you must earn X. If you just don't want to be there then set a nice high price.

Remember that you are the one who is probably hung up on money and worrying, they aren't so don't be embarresed.
  • davmaggs wrote:
    You can also leave on good terms by raising your price. Tell them that you wanted to help them out (hence the current rate), but now you must earn X. If you just don't want to be there then set a nice high price.
    Nice line. Must remember that one :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    In contracts where I've been sitting about, I tend to point out that having me twiddle my thumbs is a not inconsiderable waste of the client's cash. That soon gets me out of them and they even usually thank me for it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    I think you've almost hit the nail on the head davmaggs.

I like the work but don't have enough of it to be kept busy so I'm struggling to find things to do. It was like that before when I worked here and I ended up quitting I got so fed up with it. I really don't see why I'm needed, although we're waiting for client feedback there isn't so much the existing dev couldn't handle the work yet the boss wants me to stay on for another month.

*sigh* now I'm just babbling on. Sorry.

I really should have had a liquid lunch to give myself some dutch courage instead of sitting fretting about the conversation.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    You have my sympathy, I've gone through the same thing a couple of times and sacked myself even though it cost me money.

Odd how the mind works because the person paying you is a grown up and is capable of deciding if you are aren't pulling your weight, and in this situation seems happy to pay you for doing nothing. However as a professional there can be a guilt for not really earning the cash even though you'd probably advise a mate not to resign if they were in the same situation.

Try thinking about this. Sitting at home earning nothing will buy you the client's gratitude for half a day tops, and then they'll forget how kind you were and you are stuck with no income. So, don't resign until you have something to go it.

Also a manager's status comes from being in charge of people, and once they have a resource (esp one that they know) they often want to hang on to them 'just in case' they need them. Also a massive thing is that they want to avoid the pain of going through sign-off for budget to get someone else in weeks later, it is nicer just to pay you as finance/senior budget holders look at new hires closely and not someone already burning money each month. You are helping your boss!
  • suzyb
    davmaggs wrote:
    Also a manager's status comes from being in charge of people, and once they have a resource (esp one that they know) they often want to hang on to them 'just in case' they need them. Also a massive thing is that they want to avoid the pain of going through sign-off for budget to get someone else in weeks later, it is nicer just to pay you as finance/senior budget holders look at new hires closely and not someone already burning money each month. You are helping your boss!
    Funny you saying that...I had a meeting with the boss where the phrase "I don't want to lose you" was mentioned at least 5 times.

Gist of it seems to be they want to keep me for however long I'm needed (no end date was mentioned) and would offer me a permanent job if it came a choice between keeping me or me leaving. And they are willing to try and find some arrangement that we will both be happy and able to work with (in the office a couple of days, working at home the rest was mentioned).