Accident AM 1st Feb 2011 Brixton Road London

fruitandveg
fruitandveg Posts: 27
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Accident AM 1st Feb 2011 Brixton Road London

This morning I passed the scene of a nasty road accident this morning on Brixton Road London NR Oval tube station.
From what I saw of the bike mess I fear the worst for the cyclist.
My heart goes out to then and their loved ones.
Anyone know any details?

What is being done to find out ho these thing happen and what can be done to stop this?

Is there some kind of register of these serious accidents and the reasons they happen.

I think we need more education for drivers and cyclists.

Commuting in London, I'm constantly surprised by the unsafe behaviour of motorists, cyclists, and motorcyclists.

Comments

• My girlfriend called me this morning at around 8 to tell me that she had to walk to the Oval has Brixton road (top half leading to Kennington Park) was sealed off by police and ambulances. On a closer inspection she was told by the local shops that there was a serious bicycle collision and personal belongings scattered all over the road.

Obviously she panicked and did not want me cycling in as I'm two mins from that location. Those lights are a bit of a pain as traffic mounts up and the bus stop's are quite close to the lights as it is. Feel for the cyclist and all those involved big time - actually thought it had been death due to how the road was sealed off on both sides, however apparently it's not as bad as i thought and happens to be a very badly broken right leg.

Lame! Hope the cyclist makes a speedy recovery and doesn't get put off cycling in the future, and also doesn't deter other cyclists.

Makes you think though..... Godspeed
  • Glad the cyclist is OK, but a broken leg can screw up your life forever. Hope he makes a speedy recovery and gets back on the bike.

I had to use that junction the other day, and I have never been so scared in my life!

Which brings me to another point: I was away for 3 weeks, came back to UK last Monday and got back on the bike straight away. Doing the 10am shift at work, takes me normally through rush hour traffic. However, this past week I did notice a lot of aggressive driving, more than usual, and lots and lots more cars on the roads. I don't know if it was the 3 week holiday or what, but it's not the first time I go away, and this time I did feel something different on the road. How come that with the increase in VAT and petrol, there are more people driving?

Me thinks the Tories did something while I was away..... :wink:
  • Thanks for the info guys
    Lets hope the cyclist is indeed okay
    I do have to say I saw I lot of blood, thats what go me worried.
  • I stopped and chatted to one of the coppers and apparently he'd tried to go between the fuel tanker and the bus and lost. The copper said that he would definately lose at least one leg, i dont know if he was hyping it up...i hope so for the cyclists sake.
    Sounds like he made a very bad call. It was a really grim site. Be careful out there please people. I promote cycle training and i dont think this would've happened if he'd have done it. I dont understand why people are so averse to doing cycle training, its geared to towards helping you on your commute.
    In Lambeth it costs a measly £8 for 2hrs with what is effectively a personal trainer; they ride with you on a journey of your choice and give you a few tips AND you get a free basic maintenance course with CTUK if you do it , if that was on groupon it would sell like hotcakes!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Dukins wrote:
    I stopped and chatted to one of the coppers and apparently he'd tried to go between the fuel tanker and the bus and lost. The copper said that he would definitely lose at least one leg, i dont know if he was hyping it up...i hope so for the cyclists sake.
    Sounds like he made a very bad call. It was a really grim site. Be careful out there please people. I promote cycle training and i dont think this would've happened if he'd have done it. I dont understand why people are so averse to doing cycle training, its geared to towards helping you on your commute.
    In Lambeth it costs a measly £8 for 2hrs with what is effectively a personal trainer; they ride with you on a journey of your choice and give you a few tips AND you get a free basic maintenance course with CTUK if you do it , if that was on groupon it would sell like hotcakes!

You don't need to do a bike course to know not to cycle up the inside of lorries or buses at junctions or even more stupidly go between the two if what you say was the case. It's basic common sense.

But nevertheless I hope this cyclist makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • some people have a little less common sense than others. There would be no harm in everybody doing a course. 2hrs of your life or your legs?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Dukins wrote:
    some people have a little less common sense than others. There would be no harm in everybody doing a course. 2hrs of your life or your legs?

So when are you booked for yours? Where and how much?

Are you suggesting a course being mandatory to cycle on the roads, rather like a driving test :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I passed this too, though after the event. Didn't look like it was a happy ending so hopefully i'm wrong and the guy is alright. I agree with a lower post, that if possible there should be a hub for bike accidents in London and WHY they happen.

Cyclists AND drivers AND pedestrians need to be aware. Some of the behaviour out there on the roads is simply crazy.
  • From the lgss thread:
    Saw the bike (and photographed it), it had blood on the stays, the saddle was ripped off and the back of the bike was mangled

Wishing the rider a speedy recovery

Why on earth would someone with nothing to do with an accident want to photograph a mangled bike with blood on it???
  • So when are you booked for yours? Where and how much?

Are you suggesting a course being mandatory to cycle on the roads, rather like a driving test :? ?[/quote]

I've done one, i had to do it for work, otherwise I probably wouldnt have. I'd already been cycling in London for two years, i thought i was pretty good and pretty much knew everything, I would tear through traffic but was considerate quite well behaved BUT the training did teach me a few things that have really helped my cycling. I commute 16 Miles a day from North Victoria Park to Brixton via Whitechapel, the City and Elephant and Castle so its come in useful.

i'm not suggesting a mandatory course/test but it would be great to do something like that, that could put some common sense into the common sense challenged.

The training or 'course in advanced commuter skills' is invaluable I would say.
  • Oval tube and the area around there are a series of terrible junctions; isn't that where that cyclist was killed by the lorry driver with a 'god-awful hangover' not too long ago?
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • I work in the police control room that dealt with that incident and though I obviously can't go into too much detail, the guy did survive. Whilst I'm on about it, there are quite a few accidents on that stretch of rd for some reason. Probably due to the sheer amount of different road users on it at any one time.
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • Accident AM 1st Feb 2011 Brixton Road London

What is being done to find out ho these thing happen and what can be done to stop this?

Is there some kind of register of these serious accidents and the reasons they happen.

I think we need more education for drivers and cyclists.
    We at London Cycling Campaign have been working hard to reduce the number of these crashes, with RoadPeace and others. We try to get as much info about these crashes to help our work with the police, TfL and truckers. There was another very serious injury last night in Dalston.
    We are calling for all lorry drivers to have cycle awareness training including on-bike sessions. This is already happening for drivers working for 4 boroughs, about 3 trucking companies and 2 bus companies. We also try to give more information to cyclists about the danger of lorries. There is more on our no-more-lethal-lorries website.
  • Hey Charlie
    Thanks for the info I will read up when I get chance.
    Im aware of the LCC and the great work they do.
    The sub text of my original post was why do drivers of cars, taxis, white vans drive so aggressively, impatiently, discourteously around cyclists.
    I constantly want to remind drivers that they are protected by being encased in a metal box, and I am not.

I would love to see Boris spend some money on a campaign to educate drivers about driving around cyclists, I have my reservation about painting a broad blue line down the road, in part its created a ghetto to trap cyclists.

Whilst Im on a rant, ASL and bike box
    Advanced Stop Line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line
    Last week, whilst stationary in a bike box waiting at a red light, I was nudged from behind by a black cab absently creeping forward, no damage done, but my rear tire was momentarily trapped under his front bumper so I had to dismount.
    Maybe someone can clarify bur I understand the penalty for a vehicle crossing the ASL and entering the bike box is: 3 points on licence and £80 fine
    This is never enforced as far as I can see and most motorists dont know its an offence.
  • Whilst Im on a rant, ASL and bike box
    Advanced Stop Line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line
    Last week, whilst stationary in a bike box waiting at a red light, I was nudged from behind by a black cab absently creeping forward, no damage done, but my rear tire was momentarily trapped under his front bumper so I had to dismount.
    Maybe someone can clarify bur I understand the penalty for a vehicle crossing the ASL and entering the bike box is: 3 points on licence and £80 fine
    This is never enforced as far as I can see and most motorists dont know its an offence.
    Technically crossing the white line into the ASL is the same offence as going through a red light. That causes all sorts of problems with enforcement. The police in London and TfL and LCC are trying to get changes to make it easier to enforce, possibly without the mandatory 3 points for the less serious offences.
  • Cyclist "lucky to be alive" after losing leg in Oval lorry crash
    http://www.stockwellnews.com/2011/09/cyclist-lucky-to-be-alive-after-losing.html