Brake problems

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mountain bike tech so sorry if this is a daft question

I regularly take my front wheel off to get the bike in the car but this time must have hit the brake lever and the pads are now too close together to get the wheel back on. I've tried pushing something in between the pads to push them apart to no avail.

What do I do?

2nd problem is rear brake is squealing like a pig, I have read the other thread on this but just wondering what the basic fixed for this are

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    push harder with something clean.

and use a pad spacer next time.

the noise is normally contamination. some times glazed pads. sand to remove the glaze.

remove pads and clean rotor and replace pads if contaminated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Take the brake pads out and use a tool like a screwdriver or something to push the pistons back, don't be afraid to be quite firm but also be careful not to scratch the external finish of the brake of course. If they spongey after doing this you may need to re bleed them but see how you go with a little bit of force first.

Occasionally pistons can seize (some brakes are more prone to this than others) and if your really sruggling to push the pistons back - (again with the brake pads out and a good handful of tissue paper to aviod a mess), try spraying a bit of degreaser on the pistons and giving them as good a clean as you can.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick a flat screwdriver between them and lever them apart.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    removing the pads can cause more problems than they cure.

cracked pistons/damaged pad retention devices.

a watch of the Hope video is a good start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    cooldad wrote:
    Stick a flat screwdriver between them and lever them apart.

This worked! Thanks

Still got squealing brakes though