Repairs on the Road???

Lev303
Lev303 Posts: 15
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

After a few years of riding MTB on the road with seat pouch and pump on the frame, I have now switched to a CAAD8. But looking at road riders they don't seem to carry much in the way repair equipment.

So what's the trick then ????

Thanks

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Pump,tube, tyre lever,multi-tool, phone and if a long ride maybe some park patches and a tyre boot. Still leaves a pocket free for bars/gels
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Dunno. I see these little saddlebags and can't work out how they manage it.

I have:

Frame pump
    2 x tyre levers
    2 x tubes
    Small bag of patches
    Tube of glue
    A few tyre boots (previously known as Colgate)
    4 or 5 cable ties
    2 x chain quick links
    Short length of chain
    Multitool

in my saddle bag, and a couple of chunks of fruit cake, route card (if I'm on a new route) and mobile in my jersey pockets. So probbo not far from your MTB setup!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Des - That lot will get you by in a nuclear winter.

I take pump, tube, 2/3 tyre levers and a couple of hex wrenches.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Multi-tool, couple of tyre levers, couple of tubes and a CO2 inflator.

Have yet to need anymore than that (famous last words.....), if I need more, I'll just phone my sag-wagon (the missus)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Been a few of these lately, with quite varying answers from the "I take a rucksack, workbench and complete tool kit" to "I take feck all but a smile":

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12752431
  • 1 x spare tube
    1 x repair kit
    3 x tyre levers
    1 x multi tool
    1 x CO2 inflator
    2 x CO2 cartridges
    1 x mobile phone

All the above fite into a very small wedge bag which fits under the saddle.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Lev303 wrote:
    Hi all,

After a few years of riding MTB on the road with seat pouch and pump on the frame, I have now switched to a CAAD8. But looking at road riders they don't seem to carry much in the way repair equipment.

So what's the trick then ????

Thanks

I do audax rides and cover hundreds of miles often at night. I carry approx a kilo of tools and spares plus two tubes plus a puncture repair kit

A lot of the riders on here ride new(ish) bikes, rarely do over 100 miles and always have wife/girlfriend/mummy on speed dial to come and rescue them

There is no trick, just different people going different places
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen american guys on forums who dont take anything out. If they get so much as a flat - they call their wife to collect them. Weird.
  • I used to have a Co2 pump, but when i got a puncture and the blasted thing didn't work, I got one of these:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... rrency&id=

It's tiny and doesn't even stick out of my jersey pocket.

In my saddle bag I carry 2 tubes and a topeak survival kit which has a repair kit, levers, a chain splitter and all the tools you'd find on a multi tool.

I also keep a phone and a fiver in my jersey pocket...to call me dad... :oops:
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    A good multi tool will allow you to do most running repairs. I've even managed to fix a damaged chain with mine. Add in a spare tube (or two), a small CO2 pump and your mobile phone and that should be all you need.
  • I carry the following

2 tubes plus a few patches
    Speedlevers plus one other traditional lever
    Multi tool
    Lezyne pump carried on frame
    Chain links
    Cable ties
    Phone

Al of these go in my wedge bag apart from the pump. Only once when I snapped the valves off my two spare tubes with an old press on mini pump have I needed to call the wife to come and fetch me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, confidence in your own skills means that unforseen mechanicals "on the road" are unlikely. If your bike is regularly maintained then the likelihood of something happening is slim. I generally Loctite and torque all screws too.

I do carry:
    A decent pump (CO2 doesn't count as it's not reliable enough IME)
    A spare tube and sticky patches
    A multitool which has allen keys, chain splitter and tyre levers
    A spare KMC chain link

You can usually tell a noob by the size of their seatpack - I fit everything in my pockets because seatpack straps have a habit of scuffing expensive tights/shorts and I hate things rattling.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    I guess im am still a noob then!
    I carry;

1 tube
    Puncture repair kit inc levers
    Spesh EMT tool
    Set of spare batteries (4xAA, 2xAAA)
    Thin Rain Jacket
    Mobile
    House keys
    Tenner
    All in a spesh large bag - name escapes me...And a pump on the bottle cage

Why would you not want everthing you might need? Weight? Aero??
  • Some novel ideas in here - I particularly like the idea of stuffing a tyre with leaves as a last, last resort :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/emergency-bike-repairs-18199
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    On the road bike I have:
    - mini-pump (mounted on the frame beside a bottle cage)
    - 2 tubes
    - puncture repair outfit
    - 2 tyre levers
    - mini tool

Everything except the pump lives in a seat-pack. When on the mountain bike I use a hydration pack and carry a fair bit more, including spare chain split-links, a chain-tool and - if I'm on the full-suss with air-shock, a shock-pump. The pump I carry is a mini-morph, as I've struggled with low volume mini-pumps a few times in the past as 2.3" tyres take a fair amount of air!

It's very rare I carry any food on rides as I don't often ride for more that 2 hours at a time.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Des - That lot will get you by in a nuclear winter.

I take pump, tube, 2/3 tyre levers and a couple of hex wrenches.

I've never used (on my bike, anyway) the cable ties, chain quick links or the short length of chain. But I did have to use the patches on the 2009 Magnificat; 3 punctures on that ride, and judging by the number of riders I passed with their bikes upside-down on the verge, I wasn't the only one to receive a visit from the PF. I've patched tubes during lunchtime at work a couple of times when the farmer's hedge cutting activites have left me without any spare tubes for the return ride.

Needed the tyre boots last year when I sliced the rear tyre open 15 miles from home.

I've helped people out a few times now with the quick links. I added the short length of chain (just the left over bit from fitting a new chain) when I encountered a bloke on the same Magnificat who I couldn't help as he'd somehow managed to twist a few links (no, I couldn't work out how he'd managed it either).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I particularly like the idea of stuffing a tyre with leaves as a last, last resort :lol: [/url]

While it sounds good in theory, in pratice, it doesn't work, believe me, I've tried.
  • Stoo48
    Stoo48 Posts: 54
    I use my second bottle cage, I have a pot thing about the size of a drinks bottle, carries house keys, mobile, inflator plus 2 cartridges, 3 tyre levers and 2 tubes and a tenner.

If I ride further I tend to use my camelbak for hydration so still have a spare cage.