What mtb padded shorts?

Jonnycrawford7
Jonnycrawford7 Posts: 56
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a padded, hardwearing mtb short? Dont have a huge budget so anything in the below £50 would be ideal. Cheers
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

2012 Cannondale Caad8 Tiagra

Comments

• As with most things on here you will find rich and diverse preferences. Very much an each to his own area. At that price level you are a bit limited and down to the entry level stuff. Having said that I have Altura and Fox baggies in that price range and they are both very comfortable. You should ideally go to a shop or three and try some on. Also find a bike to sit on when trying. After all, they are designed to be comforatable and to work in that position.

Most of my cyclical gear feels downright weird when standing up but when riding I forget I have it on, in a non Godiva way of course! :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Liner shorts? Mace, Fox, Royal etc use very similar Coolmax pads but they are in a more mtb-friendly position than roadie liners. Having said that i have recently bought some Sugoi liner shorts and they are next-level comfortable so maybe those roadies know a thing or two eh?

Endura humvees are good baggies with a removable padded liner.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Great stuff cheers, after looking around the fox and endura seem to be the best choice. Im probably best trying them on as you say. Must admit i like the idea of the removable liner on the hummvee's
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

2012 Cannondale Caad8 Tiagra
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Miggins wrote:

+1

They're fantastic!

(Or get the 3/4 length for the slightly colder weather, only £5 more)
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    No problems with the basic dhb padded lycras as an undershort here.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • i got 2 pairs of these http://www.dare2b.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 4656_11551 they aint worth £50 but as there on offer at £15 you cant go wrong only thing is sizes are a bit limited..
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Miggins wrote:
    Agreed. These are the most comfortable shorts of any kind that I have ever worn on or off the bike... the clickfast liners are very good too - though if you decide to get a second set of liners (for those weekends away) then I'd go for the 8 panel over the 6 panel.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I've got some Sugoi lycra shorts that I put under my baggies and they are amazing (pricey though). Don't discount a pair of lycra shorts due to fashion - no one knows :wink:

Stif.co.uk always seems to have good deals on older Fox shorts if that's what you want...