TREK 5.2c 2010/2009

ARIZED
ARIZED Posts: 3
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello I'm looking for some advice,

Does anyone know if the TREK 5.2 2010 comes in any other colour scheme other than the black&red I have seen around.

would be really pleased to get any info back

Cheers

Comments

• porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    The 2009 5.2 compact comes in white...very white, seat. wheels etc... .
    The 2009 5.2 pro fit comes in black and grey.

I nearly bought one of these, I decided I needed one in 2010 and bought the 2010 5.2 compact.
    I am sure the 2010 only comes in the black/red with white TREK lettering and black RL wheels.
    The 2010 has Ultegra 6700 and the brake/gear cables under the bar tape.which I feel is an improvement over the '09 model, iIam glad I waited, as the 2010 5.2 seems far better than the 2011 5 series for less money.

However......if you are looking for a second hand bike, the 5 series were available under the TREK project 1 (custom) program for 2010.....I have seen a couple of 5.2 in different colours, one Livestrong, the other all red.......this would have cost the original purchaser quite a bit over the standard bike to have a more individual machine.
    You may be lucky, but could wait a while for a project 1 5 .2 to come up for sale, quite a rare machine due to the extra cost.......
    I would have just upgraded to a 6 series, why would you buy a 5 with funky paint?
  • ARIZED
    ARIZED Posts: 3
    Cheers for the feedback.

My situation is as so.

I have been riding a 1.5c for a while now (2 seasons) and now I'm looking to upgrade. I put a deposit down on a 4.7c 2011 last weekend, since then I have come across a 5.2c the guy in the shop has told me it's a 2010 hence the discount from £2,800.00 down to £2,400.00 but the bike is black and gray/silver. I'm pretty sure after what you posted that its in actual fact a 2009 in this case the £400.00 discount isn't the bargain it first appeared to be.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    The easiest way to tell if it is a 2009, is to look at the groupset...the 2010 had Ultegra 6700 with the cables under the bar tape.....they were external on the 2009 version.

Also the 2009 black.silver 5.2 wasn't a compact,but a pro fit check the geometry and also chainset,,,the pro comes with a 53/39 and not a compact 50/34.

There were quite a few of the black./silver 5.2 pros around at the end of 2009,,The list price at that timewas £2500 and Evans and others were selling them off at £1999.

The bike you are looking at is not exactly a bargain either way,,,,,,without seeing it. It is either a 2009 or 2010 project 1.
    Check the details above to be sure,,,good Luck!
  • Arized,
    I have a 2010 Trek brochure in front of me. Usually, a few of the Project One colour variations are no cost options. The 2010 5.2 does have a black / silver option which I would guess would have been no cost. The official Trek colour is Matte Onyx Carbon / Platinum / Placid Blue. The blue seems to be pin lining in the picture.
    I think it would be likely if your bike shop are telling you it is a 2010 model then I would be inclined to believe them, but check Porker33's tip on the cable routing to be sure.
    I own a 2006 5.2SL and I think it is a great bike. I'm sure the 2010 version is even better.
    Good luck.
  • If you go on the Trek website there is a link (I think in small print at the bottom of the page) which is for the bike archive. You can see the specs and pics of all the different model year bikes.

I have a 2007 5.5SL which after a terminal frame death was rebuilt into the altogether more lovely 2008 5.1. It is a really good bike and I'm sure, whichever model you get, with the right deal, you will really enjoy. Good luck.