Another BC points question

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Mate of mine started racing this year, quickly bagged a 2nd and a 4th place in 4th cat races at Hillingdon, so achieved 3rd cat status with 14 points

Then got a 2nd place in a 3rd cat race at Hog Hill, another8 points.

Needs 40 points to get 2nd cat status.

So, do the points gained as a 4th cat count towards his 2nd cat licence (i.e. 22 points), or just the points gained whilst racing as a 3rd cat (i.e. 8 points)?

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    No you start from 0 again when moving up categories. So he needs a full 40 points to move up to 2nd cat (for a total of 50 points from 4th cat to 2nd cat).
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    edited January 2011
    maryka wrote:
    No you start from 0 again when moving up categories. So he needs a full 40 points to move up to 2nd cat (for a total of 50 points from 4th cat to 2nd cat).

The 4 points extra he got in the race where he upgraded do count though.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    I have been wondering the same thing, I'm on 8 points and wondering (points wise) if it matters if I get 8th or 1st in my next 4th cat race.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    I have been wondering the same thing, I'm on 8 points and wondering (points wise) if it matters if I get 8th or 1st in my next 4th cat race.
    No, doesn't matter. Once you have exactly 10 you move up to 3rd cat. Any extra points that you got in the race that put you over 10 points go towards your 2nd cat total of 40 that you need.

However if you have 10 points or more, and continue to enter 4th cat races (say while waiting for your new license to come) then any points you get there will not count. Only the ones you earned in that race that put you over 10 points for upgrade purposes carry forward.

e.g.
    So you have 8 points now.
    You come second in your next race, you get another 8 points.
    You now have 16 points, so you are a 3rd cat with 6 points.
    If you race another 4th cat race and come second, you still have 6 points.
    If you race a 3rd cat race and come second you'll have 14 points.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thanks Jim and Maryka. Perfect explanation. Ta.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    Brilliant, thanks.