PTP calendar 2011

2»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    with stage win, why not up them 1 or 2 points to 7 or 8 instead of 6? Not a big change, but maybe adds up, and also creates a small extra bonus for getting the winner of a stage rather than going for a secure nr 2 or 3 bunch sprinter.

I wasn't serious in my post about Romandie - it's not the high point of the PTP year, but I do think it deserves a place. But not too bothered about it either.

I really enjoyed the women's races at the Worlds in PTP last two years - maybe particularly because at that stage of the season some of the men's picks can become a bit repetitive.... something new. Perhaps try a couple of extra one-dayers first?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Snorebens wrote:
    Erm, after last year, can we drop the Vuelta? :D
    Drop the Vuelta :shock: noooo!! One of my favourite races that is and it was the only race I actually got any PTP points in if I recall, due to some of the poor 'lead with your heart and not your head' decisions that I made over the season :lol:
  • sonny73
    afx237vi wrote:
    Women's cycling - ashamed to admit it, but I wouldn't know where to start. I just looked at the women's calendar and I don't even know which races are the big ones. I don't object in principle, but I don't know how the women's races would fit into our calender without being overshadowed by the other races. I'd like to hear what other people think about this.

Romandie / Crit Int - a couple of dissenting views on Romandie. I quite like it, but if other people aren't bothered, I don't mind. We could probably squeeze Crit Int in.
    Yeh I'd be equally cr*p at picking the winners of the women's races so it would be cool with me to see a couple thrown in if everyone else agrees. Get Pooley, Armitstead etc. etc. some more recognition as deserved.
    Would also make the PTP a little tougher, that is only if it's not going to cause you grief afx as you work hard enough on this. Maybe the women's races picked could replace Romandie in terms of volume if that was to go.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I was involved in revising the points for last season. The only thing about tweaking the stage race winner points is keeping a suitable differential to the 10 points for a Giro/Vuelta win and 12 for the TdF. Maybe go to 7 points to reward the winner a little more, but if you give winners too many points over second place, you risk everyone going for Schlek/Cancellara/Cavendish as they cannot afford to take risks with their choices and 'only' come second.

Looking at the top of the table from last year, there is not too much wrong with the current arrangement
    Half man, Half bike
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Trying hard not to clash with any previously arranged dates.....how about-

April 16 Ronde van Drenthe
    July 29 Open de Suede Vargada TTT
    August 27 GP de Plouay

According to Cycle Sport, these are all World Cup events, although I have to confess to never having heard of the Swedish race before.

But I love TTTs.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Personally I think we should leave well alone.

Though I very much support women's racing, I don't follow it like I do men's racing, mainly due to the lack of coverage. I know the big players like Vos, Cooke and Pooley etc but not an awful lot more so i'd struggle to pick a winner for many races, particularly a womens TTT! I'm sure i'm not alone on this.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    If aint broke.... and it certainly aint..

Richard Keys says he never knew women could even ride bikes... so i don't think we need to worry :wink:
  • sonny73
    Personally I think we should leave well alone.

Though I very much support women's racing, I don't follow it like I do men's racing, mainly due to the lack of coverage. I know the big players like Vos, Cooke and Pooley etc but not an awful lot more so i'd struggle to pick a winner for many races, particularly a womens TTT! I'm sure i'm not alone on this.
    I must admit reading this and thinking about it more, as much as I would be cool with more women's races being included it may not leave for an even playing field. Simply as we are all expected to follow the men’s pro tour to partake in the PTP but as you say, not everyone will know enough about both; mainly down to the poor coverage it receives.
    Obviously that's said with nowt negative towards the women's tour at all, just thinking about the PTP as a non gender related game.
  • Tusher
    I hear what you're saying, and it does make some sense, but could I still hold out for a sample from the women's racing? We already have the Women's Worlds events in PTP.
    And from small seeds.....may lead to more hits on articles about women's racing, which may lead to....well, who knows, but what do we have to lose?

I haven't picked any stage races, so would the final result make that much of a difference?

Or, as a compromise, what about including one race-say, the GP de Plouay. It's in late August, so it may be an 'easier' pick as by then who's having a good season will be more obvious.

Of course, I leave any final decision in the capable hands of the Monkey Man, and no hard feelings if he decides to leave the women's races out.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Perhaps we could go with some of the womens 'monuments' in the first instance, and overall winners to start with rather than all stages until we are all up to speed.

The pro teams are going there, so why not the PTP...
    Half man, Half bike
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tusher wrote:
    Of course, I leave any final decision in the capable hands of the Monkey Man, and no hard feelings if he decides to leave the women's races out.

Do you really not mind? Because I kind of agree with what inkyfingers said, and PTP is kind of something to make televised races more interesting to follow. I feel bad, but I do believe that for the majority of people a women's race (outside of the extra coverage the Worlds get) would just end up being a punt in the dark. If the coverage ever increases and we ever get televised races, I would like to have them in, but right now I would prefer to leave them out. :?
  • Tusher
    S'ok, Monkey Man- I completely understand. PTP is too dear to people's hearts to damage it.

But here's hoping to increased TV coverage soon.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Is this going to end up as a sticky at the top of the page soon?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    God i can't wait for the proper racing to start! First 3 threads today about doping... :roll:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Looking forward to it all.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I'd be up for PTP this year.

Do I need to do anything or just start naming winners?
  • afx237vi
    smithy21 wrote:
    I'd be up for PTP this year.

Do I need to do anything or just start naming winners?

Anyone is welcome to play, you just look out for the PTP threads and put your picks in those. First race is Het Nieuwsblad the Saturday after next.

I shall start a new thread in a day or two and ask a mod for a new sticky.
  • P.T.P.?
    can I play?
  • afx237vi
    P.T.P.?
    can I play?

Pro Tour Pundit - pick some winners, get some points. And yes, anyone can play.

New season thread (soon to be sticky) here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12758563
  • afx237vi
    Crikey, whoever stickied my thread a few seconds after I posted it, thanks.
  • i'd struggle to pick a winner for many races, particularly a womens TTT! I'm sure i'm not alone on this.

That's the easy bit :) go for the girls on Cervelos - they have a bit of a thing for recruiting national TT champs to their teams and like to do well in all TT's (presumably cos it helps them shift TT bikes).