Confused on groupset size?

Nealmason1986
Nealmason1986 Posts: 97
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
I am looking at building a new bike

i have found a specialized carbon frame 56cm as i am 6 foot tall and 32 leg.

i was looking at group sets to buy but i am confused that they have different sizes.

any advice would be greatful.

Comments

• i was looking at group sets to buy but i am confused that they have different sizes.

If you mean chainsets then a double ring can either be 53/39 or alternatively 50/34 with crank length either 170mm or 172.5mm long.
  • so what is the difference between the 2 and how do i know what i need?

they also have compact ones? what is the difference with that?
  • so what is the difference between the 2 and how do i know what i need?

they also have compact ones? what is the difference with that?

53/39 is a racing set-up but a compact 50/34 is used by a lot of sportif/leisure riders because the smaller 34 inner ring can be used with a 27 or 29 rear cog which will enable most riders to climb the steepest hills without resorting to a triple chainring.

Unless you are a strong and experienced rider then I would recommend the compact 50/34 set up.
  • thanks for that lilly whites. all becoming a bit more clear now

with regards to the crank length to u just have to get measured to decide what length is best?

is this the same for the handle bars and stem?

can anyone tell me what handle bar size, stem size and crank length size would go on a standard road bike u buy from the shop?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Differences in crank length are pretty negligible to be honest. I think most bikes come with either 170 or 172.5 as standard. My old bike I ride 175mm cranks, my current bike has 170mm cranks - I just amend the saddle height accordingly and really would know the difference.

Handle bar width and stem length really depend on your own body proportions. I think the most common handlebar width is either 40 or 42cm . The stem length will normally depend on how long your torso is and possibly how flexible you are, I'm just over 6' tall but with relatively long torso so I ride with a 13cm stem which is slightly longer than the 'average' for my height riding a 58cm frame.

The best advice is go and get a bike fit done as they will recommend all of these sizes for you. You can get one for about £50 (usually refunded if you buy a bike from the shop fitting you), well worth it to ensure you get a bike that fits you properly.
  • perfect answer! thanks for all the advice guys!

out of curiosity

i am 6 foot bang on but i am not very flexable in fact i am pretty shocking and have a average length torso for my size.

what size could be about right for me.

i know its hard without sizing but i am just curious
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    At a guess about 11cm but it really is just a guess.
  • Subject to trying the bike I think the 56cm frame should be OK. 42cm wide handlebars should be fine but subject to your shoulder width you may need 44cm and I reckon that a 120mm length stem would fit the bill.
  • i have broad shoulders! so 44 would prob be better for me!

i have the option to buy a cheap carbon specialized frame which would be good

and i need a new hobby so thinking of building it myself to some degree. Using people advice and you tube videos etc

it seems pretty cheap to buy all the shimano 105 parts and wheels i need etc. i think i can get the lot done for near to 900 quid which is defo cheaper then the bike new
  • What about tools.........as well as the basics you may well need a bottom bracket tool, headset tool, chainset tool, cassette lockring tool/chain whip, cable cutters....

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • i will have to look at buying some. there is a full set on ebay for 50
  • I'd go with a 44cm bar and agree with the others on stem length (100mm to 120mm is probably the right range).

172.5mm cranks are the usual standard but you would probably find anything from 170 to 175 was OK as you'll get used to whatever you buy. If you have a lot of hills around you then a Compact would be best, if not then either will be fine.

I'd add a Richey Torque Key to your tools. It's a cheap enough tool and will give you a bit of peace of mind re how tight you can do bolts up on carbon.

Good luck!