Suntour Epicon? How Good?

EllieRockyPally
EllieRockyPally Posts: 89
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
A friend of mine has asked whether anyone knows which is better:

RockShox Dart (not sure which model, sorry!)

or

Suntour Epicon

Would anyone have a preference? He's building a 2006 Kona Kikapu frame (100mm) and rides mainly XC and light trail centre.

Cheers Guys!
Previously: '96 GT Avalanche + RS Mag21, '97 GT LTS 1, '02 Specialized Enduro Comp, Ellsworth Id Custom Build. '05 Klein Palomino Maverick Custom Build, '09 Specialized Rockhopper Expert

Thieves need their hands chopping off.

Comments

• The carrera fury has the epicon fork and on the bike radar review of the fury it quotes 'great fork' so go with the epicons.
  • The carrera fury has the epicon fork and on the bike radar review of the fury it quotes 'great fork' so go with the epicons.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Darts are rubbish. Suntour forks aren't great, however, the epicon is much better than the dart.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how much is he going to pay for the epicons?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The darts are terrible, the epicons are a bit of a lottery.

So you have a choice or total crap, or maybe ok maybe crap.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • no comparison between darts and epicons, the darts are bobbins the epicons are an excellent fork for the money especially if you go for the air model, which is found on the current carrera fury
  • I've got set of Epicons on my fury, no contest a nice air fork compared to a cheapy coil with nasty rebound damping. The cheapy suntours are rubbish are rubbish but these are more premium offerings, a world away

EDIT- I've not had a reliability problem at all. All I do to keep them sweet is wipe off mud regularly and when it comes in for a clean every weekend I put some Fork Juice on, pump them a few times to get the cr@p out the seals and wipe it off.
  • Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses!

Welshkev, the Epicons are on eBay for £149 Buy It Now but also have a Make Offer button. We were thinking they may be available for a cheeky price! ;o)
    Previously: '96 GT Avalanche + RS Mag21, '97 GT LTS 1, '02 Specialized Enduro Comp, Ellsworth Id Custom Build. '05 Klein Palomino Maverick Custom Build, '09 Specialized Rockhopper Expert

Thieves need their hands chopping off.
  • the epicons are actually a really nice budget air fork... if the price is right.

I was very impressed with the epicon on my Dad's Fury.
  • The Northen Monkey - sorry to bring up a topic from ages ago, it's completely off topic too. But remember whan I was asking about seatpost size and you said it 31.6mm, I didn't believe you. I'm sorry, you were right. I also didn't take my time to look properly for the writing on the seatpost. Stupid boy, so I'll apologise for both things. Thanks though

Pete
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Hi Guys

Welshkev, the Epicons are on eBay for £149 Buy It Now but also have a Make Offer button. We were thinking they may be available for a cheeky price! ;o)

i'd maybe think of some of these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th-lockout

for £100 they're a bargain but it depends on how heavy your friends is as they're coil forks. i have some on my hardtail and they're decent forks :D
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Hi Guys

If it's the Hong Kong seller that I got mine from I think he accepted £120 and I didn't get stung for import duty either.
  • I've been riding different Epicons on 3 different bikes during the last 4 years, you really cannot compare it to a much heavier and way less responsive fork like the Dart.
    Also I never had any trouble or problems, with damaged bushes air leaking, travel adjustment defects...

It's a great fork and considering the price I would always buy it again.
  • Jack 123
    Jack 123 Posts: 118
    I have a Epicon for trail or xc its a good fork I would recommend going with the version epicon you can adjust from 100 120 130 140 the am version. It is so easy to do all you need is a few Alan wrenches or you can get the tad version that is remote travel. I have a link of the company I got my tad from in China if you want it think it was like 170 euro