Is this shape of aerobar illegal now?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
I have the feeling based on what? a dream? that the kidn of aerobars that would calm my knackered wrists are now 'illegal' as deemed by the UCI and/or BCF. True?

7f25acee-2f9b-4e75-a519-ae09e5734602.jpg

what about this?

profile-jammer-gt-med.jpg

Cheers,
Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hope not!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Straight bars or s-bends apear to be more popular at the moment as riders try to emulate the pro-racer, flat-forearm stance, but whatever works best for you - the downward angled wrist can be a rightpain in the proverbials, particularly if you're trying to pull hard on the bars.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Have a look at pages 6, 7 and 8 of this UCI document. It's not all about the shape of the extensions (unless they are the 'old' arc type and there is also the 1:3 ratio stuff to consider) - the ones you've show are ok. The revised regs are mainly about the horizontal positioning of forearms.

BTW, the BC regs mirror the wording exactly.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Where are you?
    What sort of events do you intend to use the bars in??
    If you were in Scotland and riding a time trial , you come under UCI and BC regs and i wont comment, as it can be extremely complex.
    If you are in England/ Wales , just about all TT`s come under CTT regs and just about anything goes. So you`ll be alright.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • i use the jammer gt's - much easier on the wrists i find.
  • sub55 wrote:
    Where are you?
    If you were in Scotland and riding a time trial , you come under UCI and BC regs and i wont comment, as it can be extremely complex.
    If you are in England/ Wales , just about all TT`s come under CTT regs and just about anything goes. So you`ll be alright.

and lets be honest, in 99% of the events no one would bother if you turned up and rode on a washing machine.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Its my understanding that aero-bars are only allowed in TT races and not road-races due to the small delay in you getting back to cover the anchors, therefore accident-prone in pack riding, non?
  • imagine 30 4th cats all on the tribars all wobbling all over the place.... it would be a massacre. Thats why they're not allowed in road races.
  • sub55 wrote:
    Where are you?

and lets be honest, in 99% of the events no one would bother if you turned up and rode on a washing machine.

Like mine? Wouldn't it be classed as a motor when on it's spin cycle?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business