Natural progression Rockhopper ---> ???

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
I love my bike.

This has been the first "proper bike" I have ever had and the first bike I have ever used "properly" i.e single track and mud etc.

My general ride is about 20-30 miles urban - road - track - single track - off piste and return.

Nothing too knarley, trail centre sort of standard.

No I love my hardtail but have thought about upgrading. The forks I like are 300+, brakes 200+, etc etc etc. You end up better buying a new bike But what would be the progression - don't think I want a stumpy as it is too close to my bike for another grand.

I am looking at the likes of
p7
Ragley's

What do you think

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Honestly, I can't see that any of those frames would be an upgrade. Just different.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree with Yeehaa 100%. P7 is incredibly heavy.
  • The Rockhopper, as many would agree is a fine bike with a great frame. How old is the bike?
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • ljs1977
    Its a 2010 comp XL, 7 months old
    The Rockhopper, as many would agree is a fine bike with a great frame. How old is the bike?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    To get any substantial improvement you'd need to be spending £2K on a full sus. I'd wait til some of the parts break and then look at upgrades.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    An FS is not a natural progression from a RHer frame. It would be more a Stumpy.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I upgraded from Rockhopper Expert SL into FS Zesty. And that was and still is awesome. Seems natural to me.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • 456 is a cool lokking beast, and on-one have got 27 perc of them at the mo
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • ljs1977
    Just had an email from Specialized, who are very proud at getting 10 /10 for thier camber from *cough* another bike mag.

Perhaps this might be worth a look?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about an On-One 456 Carbon or Carbon whippet?
    Full sus would just be rubbish for the road parts of your rides, I only ever ride mine when it's at least 90% off road, if there is more than a mile or two of road I would rather take my Specialized Hardrock.
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Agree with yeehaa and supersonic.

I've had a rockhopper and now own a stumpy fsr - for me that was an upgrade well worth doing. 2010 models are heavily reduced price if you can still find them.

Edit: I thought the RH was a great bike BTW
  • How much you want for the Spesh? i could be in for taking it off your hands.