Pedal Choice for "Red" Trails?

13»

Comments

• CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I've used spds for 8 years and loved my shimano dx647s but always lost a bit of confidence on the more technical bits despite being very practised at unclipping. I decided to invest in a set of kona wah wahs that were on offer and a pair of five10 impact lows. I did the same 13 mile, 1340ft assent/descent route two weeks apart, once with the spds, then with the flats and my confidence increased dramatically using the flats!!

The route I chose had road sections, a rocky steep climb, boggy sandy moorland crossing and then a slightly rocky, high speed downhill section with several water drainage crossings. My overall ride was quicker with flats and NOT ONCE did my feet slip. In fact I was simply blown away how secure I felt with them. It was simply like being clipped in. I've now decided to leave the flats on for all but the smoothest rides and blue trail centre runs with the family.

I'm definately a flats convert now :)
  • Iv never used spd's, cant cycle flats so use toe clips.
    Iv used them for years. My feet are not strapped in tight, just enough to come out if theres a problem.
    Down side is of course when you have to get your foot in them but once you have the knack its easy.
    They dont look good though!
  • Sorry to kinda hijack this thread but still new to mtb but my Revolution Triad 2 came with toe clips and they are bloody useless even on cycle tracks and the very limited time I have spent on any local trails, plan on visiting Glentress and running the Blue trail ( or green if I chicken out .... hey im new) and looking at Wellgo V12 copies they sell on Chainreactioncycles. Anything I should know about Chain reaction or the pedals before I buy? Also are Flats ok for doing a bit of commuting?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Toeclips are amazing, they take all the downsides of both flats and SPDs then multiply them. We did kirroughtree black last year, one of the girls was using toeclips, she said after watching the others doing McMoab "You're all braver than me" but I wouldn't ride the bloody red with toeclips. Just another thing best left in the past, like flexstems and steel handlebars.
    Uncompromising extremist