Bib shorts with the best pad?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I currently have shuttvr standard bib shorts which i'm fairly happy with, good fit and nice and comfortable. They're my first pair of bibs so can't compare them to any others.

I'm upping the miles lately and after a couple of hours in the saddle i can really start to feel it. Also i couldn't be happier with my saddle.

How does the pad in shuttvr bibs compare to say assos or others? Would i be able to ride for longer periods in assos bibs without discomfort? Or does your arse just get used to longer rides and the pad dosen't play a huge part?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...'upping the miles' from what to what?

Shutt VR are pretty reasonable - time riding? chamois cream used?
    Cycling weakly
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    To be honest regardless of what you wear your backside will adapt to the longer rides, but if you were to splash out on an expensive pair of Asos bibs, you would really notice the difference.

As I reluctantly spend more and more on what can only be described as "upgrades" it becomes incredibly annoying that the silly amounts your paying really is worth it, Asos bids are wonderful.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd try the DHB Knowles or Finchdeans (I prefer the pad in the Finchdeans to the pad in my Assos Uno's so assume the Knowles would be slightly better still).
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If upgrading your bibs, get the Shutt Pro Bibs.
    I wear both Shutt Pro and Assos, nothing in it, apart from cash left over for morte upgrades...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    +1 for shut vr the quality is excellent and service far better than most. Also your supporting a uk company who are trying to produce a good product. Check the reviews you'll love em
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    +1 for shut vr the quality is excellent and service far better than most. Also your supporting a uk company who are trying to produce a good product. Check the reviews you'll love em
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Sugoi rs flex.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    skyd0g wrote:
    ...'upping the miles' from what to what?

Shutt VR are pretty reasonable - time riding? chamois cream used?

Upping the miles from roughly 20 to 50 and hopefully 50+ soon. But after 2hours I start thinking of heading home because my backside is aching, i'm not using chamois cream at the moment but i'm not getting any chaffing or soreness which I guess the chamois is for?

I'll happily fork out for some top of the range bibs if it means I can ride all day. I'd be equally happy sticking with my standard shutts if it just a question of needing a tougher backside, which comes from putting the miles in?

Thanks for all your replys.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Haven't tried the ShuttVR standard shorts but I had the same problem as you up to 2hrs in saddle and couldn't last any longer. Shorts helped a bit but the right saddle helped a lot. Road buzz and harshness through my alu frame was causing my pain but a Selle Italia Max Flite saddle helped take out a lot of that due to the elastomere/winged 'suspension'.

Also a tip i got from more experienced riders was to ensure you regularly get out of the saddle to give your bum a bit of relief as well as stretch your legs a little. Now I can ride comfortably for 100miles.

BTW I use Castelli Free Race bib shorts with the Progetti pad which are well rated but if I buy another pair I plan on getting Shutt VR Pro's with what others on here have said.

HTH
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Have to say i'm very pleased with my Skinz Bib shorts. Very good quality and good padding as well. They cost a bit but if your out for hours then I think they're worth it! :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think its more your arse that needs to get used to it ?

I've been cycling years and my bum cant tell whether its Assos or DHB or cheapo team kit its on.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Use some chamois cream!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    So, you are "upping the miles lately and after a couple of hours in the saddle ..i really start to feel it. "

It might be cheap shorts. Here are some other possibles

1. As various other people have hinted, it could be that you backside just needs to get used to higher mileages

2. You bike setup could be great for shorter mileage but not so good for longer rides. Saddle pressure is sometimes due to the bars being too high

3. Your endurance fitness and pacing could mean that after a number of miles you are putting less power into the pedals. So more weight is born by the other contact points, your hands and backside

4. One or more of the above points could combine with the saddle to cause a problem. So while the saddle is fine for low mileage rides, it might be bad for long distance

The main problem I have with shorts is not so much the "impact" comfort but the lack of wicking on longer rides.

In the current (January) weather this is much less of an issue but in summer I find that some of my shorts with a larger pad are in fact worse to ride in. This is due to the way the pad acts as a sponge and does not wick. I've mitigated this to some extent by using cream (Sudocrem for me).

For me the main advantage of better shorts is they don't get damp with sweat.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I have some Asos F1 Mille bibs but prefer the Giordana Tenax. I find them more comfortable and they're about half the price of the Asos shorts.

I also find the Asos shorts quite short.

Just to be clear, I'm not an Asos hater. I have plenty of other Asos stuff which I think is the bee's knees.

I guess shorts, like saddles, are a very personal thing and different shape/density chamois are going to suit different people.
  • hondicusp
    hondicusp Posts: 168
    I think it's really quite personal (not that that helps). I cant get on with (older) dhb pads, not hugely impressed by current Castelli but really rate Sportful and quite like Assos. I dont think this is neccessarily a quality issue, more a difference in styles.

Definately definately use chamois cream, it's the secret that thay didnt want us to know about :wink:
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I took part in a 6 day cycle with a group of friends this summer. The group I rode with had never heard of nor used Assos cream before - all I can say is, they do now!! No matter which shorts you wear, for rides of any length, I strongly recommend you use it every time.

In terms of shorts comfort, I had with me one of each of Assos' current range and I was really surprised to find that the top end bibs proved to be supremely comfortable and much more so than the Uno's and Mille's. I had honestly expected the Mille to be the best padded for comfort. The difference was very clear to me.

I haven't tried the Shutt bibs but would like to do so later this year when temperatures pick up. Until then, I can't comment on them.

Peter