Want NEW WHEELS, but whitch ones...?

jonny ktm
jonny ktm Posts: 5
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,need some advice on what new/ 2nd hand wheels to buy. I do mostly road riding, and i am looking to upgrade my wheels to Mavic ksyruim sl s, not sure how good these wheels are, or whats the alternative.....? many thanks.

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    which unless you are looking for ones suitable for a broomstick?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    Hi Jonny, What wheels are you upgrading from? And what are you looking for from your wheels? Do you want them light for climbing or stiff for racing?

If you've got some bog standard hoops that came with the bike you can make big changes rather cheaply. My first wheel upgrade was from some 3kg solid iron Bontrager's that came on my Trek to some Shimano RS-Eighty's, the difference is amazing and you only have to spend about £350 for the pleasure. They're not particularly heavy and I've never had a single problem on them despite smacking some quite severe potholes at speed! Team Sky even see fit to train with them so they can't be that bad.
  • Cheers Richa..,i will have a look at some shimano RS-80s, i have ritchey ocr,wheels on at the moment,so i would like some new wheels to be good for both climbing and racing,at about £500,....Cheers
  • You know, factory wheels are great. They typically offer lighter weight and greater strength.

But ... the rims will typically wear out several decades before the hubs might pack up, and a prang or a broken spoke might make them useless unless you can source a replacement.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spares for Ksyrium SLs are not a problem - I wore a pair out in 5 years and in the process of getting new rims - still cheaper than a new pair. Other alternatives a Fulcrum Racing Ones - I have a pair of Shamals which are very similar and they are very good too. If you want something a little bit more aero, look at American Classic AC420s - just as light, not quite as stiff but feel faster when you really wind them up.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Because you question is in the beginners column I've got to ask what your problem is
    with the wheels you've got? It's a really good set of wheels to be honest. If you think you're going to buy something that will be noticably better I would caution you not to waste your money. No matter what you buy you won't get faster. Sounds as though you've been sucked into the wheel advertising hoopla, in that all you have to do to go faster is spend more money. I only say this because of the "beginner" in you. Beginners, AND MOST other cyclists, don't need better wheels. They need better lungs, hearts, and legs.
  • If you really want to spend your money (don't let people tell you you don't need them, it's your money and you can spend it on what you like) I've just bought a set of Dura ace 7850 cl's from Merlin. They come in at £483 at the moment. Bargain for a quality set of wheels.
  • Many thanks for the advice.
  • Frag75
    Frag75 Posts: 28
    Hi jonny, check out this month's CP as they have a group test of wheelsets which fall into your price range.
    FCN 4/12