Cube LTD Team vs Race

dave1986
dave1986 Posts: 61
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to get a bike on the "Cyclescheme" and I am torn as to whether to get either the CUBE LTD TEAM, or CUBE LTD RACE, or another bike around the £1000 mark?

Both bike have the same frames but just £110 difference in price. Would you say its worth paying the extra for the LTD RACE, or should I stick with the TEAM? Will any shops allow me to pay the £100 extra in cash as my "Cyclesceme" limit is £1000 but the LTD RACE costs £1099??

I have listed the difference in specs below:

CUBE LTD RACE (£1099)
Fork: Fox 32 F100 RL ALPS OB, 100mm, Lockout
Brakes: Formula RX hydr. discbrake (180/160mm)
Rims: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
Front hub: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
Rear hub: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
Spokes: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset

CUBE LTD TEAM (£989)
Fork: Rock Shox Reba RL 100mm, Motion Control, PopLoc
Brakes:Hayes Stroker Ryde hydr. discbrake (180/160mm)
Rims: RFR ZX24
Front hub: Shimano Deore XT Disc HB-M756
Rear hub: Shimano Deore XT Disc FH-M756
Spokes: DT Industry 2.0

Any help on making this big decision would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• I was talking to hargroves about a new bike and they said they'd give me one for a weekend to try, no obligations!

Maybe try the cheaper one and see if it will do!
  • Thanks, perhaps I'll ask for a demo of the cheaper one.

Do you know if any shops will allow me to get the more expensive bike on the "Cyclescheme" if i pay the xtra £100? My local shop said they could not allow that on the cyclescheme :(
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Going from previous threads on here no shops will allow it :?
    Nicolai CC
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I have spoken to a few local shops to me and all are happy for me to pay the extra money towards a new bike on the scheme just not sure what I want to get as I want a full suss but not pay a load extra money out but there don't seem to be much choice without spending another £500 at least :(
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • gavin66
    gavin66 Posts: 117
    dave1986 wrote:
    Hi Everyone, I'm looking to get a bike on the "Cyclescheme" and I am torn as to whether to get either the CUBE LTD TEAM, or CUBE LTD RACE, or another bike around the £1000 mark?

Both bike have the same frames but just £110 difference in price. Would you say its worth paying the extra for the LTD RACE, or should I stick with the TEAM? Will any shops allow me to pay the £100 extra in cash as my "Cyclesceme" limit is £1000 but the LTD RACE costs £1099??

I have listed the difference in specs below:

CUBE LTD RACE (£1099)
    Fork: Fox 32 F100 RL ALPS OB, 100mm, Lockout
    Brakes: Formula RX hydr. discbrake (180/160mm)
    Rims: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
    Front hub: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
    Rear hub: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset
    Spokes: Sunringlé Ryde XMB wheelset

CUBE LTD TEAM (£989)
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba RL 100mm, Motion Control, PopLoc
    Brakes:Hayes Stroker Ryde hydr. discbrake (180/160mm)
    Rims: RFR ZX24
    Front hub: Shimano Deore XT Disc HB-M756
    Rear hub: Shimano Deore XT Disc FH-M756
    Spokes: DT Industry 2.0

Any help on making this big decision would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave
    Can i ask why you are only looking at the cube bikes?
    What sort of riding do you do?
    I have a 2010 Ltd Race and am beginning to regret buying it,,ok the spec is quite good but the bike lives upto its name on anything other than XC...ie.Limited
    Are you going to use it for Xc racing?if not there are better bikes out there than the cube.
    Also,,i wouldn't bother with cyclescheme if i were you,,,you don't get the same discount you once did,,,you would be better waiting for the sales,,you could make a bigger saving.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I have a 2010 Ltd Race and am beginning to regret buying it,,ok the spec is quite good but the bike lives upto its name on anything other than XC.

And what else did you expect to do with it? I'd say its fairly obvious its an XC oriented bike to be honest. Although I ride my Reaction on steep technical stuff with out many issues but then I have put a shorter stem and wider riser bars on it, maybe you should think about that?

The Cubes are good bikes but you need to try them first and decide what type of riding you're going to be doing.
  • gavin66
    gavin66 Posts: 117
    Eranu wrote:
    I have a 2010 Ltd Race and am beginning to regret buying it,,ok the spec is quite good but the bike lives upto its name on anything other than XC.

And what else did you expect to do with it? I'd say its fairly obvious its an XC oriented bike to be honest.

Fairly obvious if you know your stuff about bikes,which,when i bought it,i didn't.
    Now i've realised,especially since i joined a club,,that this bike has its limits and is not the bike for me.However,now i'm stuck with it i will take your advice and alter the stem and bars as this has been suggested to me on more than one occasion.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    gavin66 wrote:
    Also,,i wouldn't bother with cyclescheme if i were you,,,you don't get the same discount you once did,,,you would be better waiting for the sales,,you could make a bigger saving.

Actually, Cyclescheme have a way to make the cycle to work scheme enticing for people again.

For a small fee, cyclescheme take ownership of the bike whilst letting you still use it. And I think 4 years down the line you're given the option to keep the bike or give it back to cyclescheme. If you give it back you get you fee back iirc
  • Back to your question. I'd go for the Ltd race if I were you - better forks, better brakes, and better wheels than the team, and not that much more dosh. Recently, my LBC, which is part of a small chain, had no problems letting me add another £200 on top of the cyclescheme £1000.
  • dp1
    dp1 Posts: 89
    I started looking at those two bikes and rode the race which felt ok but nothing special. Have to say though that Formula brakes were outstanding. Anyway then i tried out a Whyte 901 and that felt fantastic and would make me want to ride more and is more versatile. At the end of the day a bike is a personal thing. What suits one might not suit another which is why its worth trying a few out. I havn't bought yet but its going to be between the Whyte 900 series or the Anthem X4 something totally different which i'm trying at the weekend ................... cant wait !
  • Two words: Boardman MTB PRO HT!!!

There are some that may disagree and say dont buy one because of brand snobbery and a perception that all Halfords staff are inept and cannot build the bike safely. But for £1000 you WILL NOT find a better spec anywhere. I love mine. Get in quick for a 2010 model that are now £850 - The 2011 bikes should be out soon and I heard the price will rise.

I picked mine up from Halfords in Newbury and they really surpassed my expectations. Very proffesional, nothing was too much trouble at all and the bike hut manager dealt with the sale and built the bike up himself. I recieved MUCH better service than when I went to my LBS to test a Cube. Surprise surprise the LBS guy did nothing but diss the Boardman range or any other brand they didnt stock (Trek, Spesh and even Orange!) and tried to up sell me on everything at already over inflated prices, no thanks! Just my experience though maybe I was lucky with Halfords Newbury.

But the advice to shop around and test as many bikes as possible and go with what feels right is the best advice really. I almost bought a LTD Race (didnt stand out as anything special to me and the love it or hate it over the top graphics and stickers are too much imho) and also tested a Cannondale Trail SL1 (very nice but the Headshock reliabilty and servicing was a concern, and a Rockhopper Pro before deciding on the Boardman. A mate of mine has one and after riding it I was already judging the others against the Boardman really.
  • i bought the cube ltd team on the 2010 cycle scheme and its been really good for me. Ive raced seversall occasions..XC races and its taken a fair hammering and so far so good! To be honest im no pro on a bike and I dont think i could tell much differnece between all the different makes anyway. But im happy with it its comfortable and seems to hadle really well and i was always ended in the top 25% of the field! so does what it says on the tin! Nearly went for the boardman as i agree the spec is brilliant for the price but halfords offer their own cycle to work scheme which your company may not operate with.