Advice! Camber Comp or others

mikeysickalrigh
mikeysickalrigh Posts: 246
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am lookng to buy the Specialized Camber Comp

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=40647

I was just wondering if anyone had ridden one and what the are like?

It's my first full suspension bike, looking to ride harder on the downhills and trails. The reason that I am going for this is I am using 0% finance.

I was also looking at the Cube XMS 2011 but I don't think that it is as well equipped.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... 20-%202011

Anyone got any other bikes that are available on finance in the same price region?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I'd look at heavily discounted 2010 bikes for that price, current models are just so poorly specced for the money imo.
  • You're right but I can't get finance on sale models. Otherwise chainreactioncycles would be getting my money!
  • ps I would buy yours off you too if I had the cash upfront!
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Ah right, I was in the same boat when I got mine (thats why my original budget of £1000 went well out the window lol).

In that case the Camber is a nice option, not basing that off any first hand riding experience, just the fact that it's a Spesh and the frames look lovely. :lol:
  • I was in the same situation a month ago, and got a very heavily discounted FSR XC 2010 Expert. From my LBS I had the option of 0% finance though?
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • The Camber Comp also qualifies for Specialized Spring Reward - you get 10% of the bikes value in free Spesh 2011 clothing/shoes/helmets etc and 0% finance too.

Any 2011 spesh bike over £999.99 qualifies for spring reward until April.
  • ...apart from s-works bikes/frames!
  • Oh well maybe I can? Where was that from? I'd rather get an older cheaper model!
  • Is the spesh spring deal only online?
  • If you can stretch to the Camber Elite on finance the do as it's well worth the extra money - better wheels, lighter forks, Elixir brakes, etc. My other half has one and she absolutely loves it - I've taken it out a few times and ridden stuff on it that I wouldn't have done before, it feels really stable yet chuckable, and feels like it has more than 120mm travel thanks to the slacker angles. Basically, it's damn nice, and the colour scheme on the Elite is better too imo!
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • I wish I could but I am getting the comp at a push so I have drawn the line at that.

Went in to hargroves today. They want a £1000 credit card deposit for an off road test ride so I'll only be able to ride it on road. But I am almost certain that I want it.

I am 6ft and the guy reckons I need a large (19.1"). Anyone disagree?
  • If you can wait a few weeks then you could try one out at the Demo Series day at Bedgebury (http://www.thedemoseries.co.uk/) - means you'll get to ride it properly off-road. My OH's is a Medium and I'm 6' and was able to ride it fine, but have sat on a Large Stumpy FSR and that fit equally as well, so it depends on how you like your bikes to feel.

If you're stretching yourself to get it, don't risk buying it without a decent test ride, so it might be worth the wait.

:)

EDIT: I was wrong about the wheels on the Elite being better than the Comp as they're the same. I'd still go for the Elite over the Comp though due to the fork being nearly a pound lighter and having Elixir brakes as opposed to Tektro - it's only £25 a month more on a year's 0% finance.
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • I'll sleep on it but think I'll go for the comp. I am planning on keeping this bike for a looooooooooong time so I can always upgrade the forks.

Decisions decisions!
  • Went in to hargroves today. They want a £1000 credit card deposit for an off road test ride so I'll only be able to ride it on road. But I am almost certain that I want it.

That truly is pathetic. I got a test ride on the top model Camber with my LBS just by leaving my driving license and car keys as a deposit. I was told to go off road and have fun with it, just like it would be riden if I bought one. I've heard of taking smaller deposits and keeping valuables etc, but that bike shop clearly does not want your business.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010