Help - Mavic R-SYS or KSYRIUM SL ??

chris217
chris217 Posts: 217
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Looking at both of these and theere are some deals on the R-sys wheels at the moment so similar prices for both wheelsets

need some ride opinions to make the decision i currently ride Dura Ace CL 24 which are good ( i am going to be selling these ) but want bit more stifness out of the saddle climbing.

heard better reports about the R-SYS wheels now post re-call and the comfort appears a plus.

any comments feedback appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The R-Sys are fantastic, the stiffest wheels I've tried and very comfortable. I just couldn't get past the carbon spokes at the time (and rightly so as this was pre-recall), so I got the DAs.
    Now the recall has been done I'd go R-Sys.
  • +1 for the r-sys stiffness

-1 for ksyrium stiffness. not noodles by any means but certainly not stiff. FWIW Eurus are also pretty stiffness. agree the DAs are a bit lacking in this dept.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The SLs are light, but noisy freewheel. Mine did break after seven years but this was only the axle housing.

I wouldn't trust carbon spokes on any wheel, especially with the history R-Sys have had.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Mavic really c*cked up the introduction of carbon spokes to the market - similar to Mercedes with the A Class and the Elk test all those years ago. Personally I think the R-Sys are fab - I have a pair of 2010 Premiums. The legacy of the first edition failures must have severely damaged their commercial acceptability and I can totally understand people's reluctance to consider them. That's why they are available at prices below their intended segment. Worth giving them a go IMO.

Peter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    According to Mavic the Rsys spokes do the best of all their spokes in deflection tests.

The issue is, if one goes, is it catastrophic?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The one thing that R-Sys isn't is aero - my mate has two pairs and they are ridiculously poor on fast decents. My experience with Ksyrium SLs were that they are pretty stiff - anyone says they aren't probably has a duff pair or has an unrealistic perception. Another worthy alternative are Fulcrum Racing Zeros - not quite as stiff as SLs, but the better for it IMO because they don't hop about as much.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chris217
    cheers for input

"and they are ridiculously poor on fast decents" Monty , can you elaborate , i.e just slower than an more aero spoked wheel or deflection, control etc ??
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Sorry to jump in but who's doing the best price on these at the moment (campag freehub)? I have found them for £550.00 from Primera which is a great price but just wondering if there's anyone cheaper before I press the "buy" button.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I've had my eye out for some of these since I tried them last year. They're awesome wheels, super stiff and pretty comfy. I didn't find they hop about at all I found them very planted and very exciting to ride but then I'm around 12.5 stone so hardly a lightweight.

£550 is the cheapest I've seen and I've been looking at getting some for my steel bike for a while but I'm only after silver ones so the £550 no good for me.

If anyone has seen a good deal on the silver, let me know.
  • Evil Laugh
    I'm talkin bout the r sys ya get me blud.
  • Evil Laugh
    The SLs are light, but noisy freewheel. Mine did break after seven years but this was only the axle housing.

I wouldn't trust carbon spokes on any wheel, especially with the history R-Sys have had.

Have you seen the video of the guy smashing the crud out of the mavic ccu spokes with a hammer?

No it wasn't Redknapp. :lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The comment about the R-Sys is that they are very poor aerodynamically in comparison to most other wheels - if we both start at the top of the hill and freewheel down the other side, it's noticeable that above about 50kph they ain't very quick - I expect due to the rim profile and fat spokes. For most riders it ain't going to make much difference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chris217
    EVL, where you seen the R-SYS for £550 ??
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    The one thing that R-Sys isn't is aero - my mate has two pairs and they are ridiculously poor on fast decents. My experience with Ksyrium SLs were that they are pretty stiff - anyone says they aren't probably has a duff pair or has an unrealistic perception. Another worthy alternative are Fulcrum Racing Zeros - not quite as stiff as SLs, but the better for it IMO because they don't hop about as much.

light alu clincher wheels with shallow rims are generally not very stiff. Ksyriums are ok, certainly not noodles ... average for their weight. A really stiff rear wheel is something else for climbing but very few wheels manage this. In fact the R-SYS is one of only a couple in this category (the other being Eurus) that I can think of as performingly significantly better. Problem with R-SYS is unconventional construction and poor aerodynamics as you say.
  • chris217
    cheers NapD you have talked me into it !!! - R-SYS Premium wheels ordered £699 !!
  • Evil Laugh
    Chris217 wrote:
    cheers NapD you have talked me into it !!! - R-SYS Premium wheels ordered £699 !!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shock:

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... -4422.aspx

Cancel quick.
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Chris217 wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shock:

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... -4422.aspx

Cancel quick.

Check stock with Primera before cancelling. I ordered some stuff from them before Xmas and ending up cancelling when I still hadn't received my order after a month.
  • chris217
    cheers guys but Primera sold out of all R-Sys shimano Clinchers, although did say they could do a deal on some 2011 ones .....mmmmm
  • Evil Laugh
    Phew