BMC or Giant, Thoughts please!!

damonshaw01
damonshaw01 Posts: 2
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm buying a road bike through the cycle to work scheme, have narrowed it down to a BMC Street Fire, SSX01 2010 or the Giant defy 1

Any thoughts from anyone, or other suggestions, can only spend £1000

Thanking you all in advance

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    edited January 2011
    My club mates may have been unlucky, but everyone I know who's bought a BMC has has problems with frames/forks cracking. So personally wouldn't advise purchasing one on that basis. Do a thread search on here also :wink:

Alternatives, too many to mention! I like Orbea's and Cannondales but it's all down to personal preference. Nothing wrong with the Giant to be honest if you like the look of it.

Best of luck :)
  • ADIHEAD
    My club mates may have been unlucky, but everyone I know who's bought one has has problems with frames/forks cracking. So personally wouldn't advise purchasing one on that basis. Do a thread search on here also :wink:

Alternatives, too many to mention! I like Orbea's and Cannondales but it's all down to personal preference. Nothing wrong with the Giant to be honest if you like the look of it.

• ADIHEAD wrote:
    My club mates may have been unlucky, but everyone I know who's bought one has has problems with frames/forks cracking. So personally wouldn't advise purchasing one on that basis. Do a thread search on here also :wink:

I'm guessing you're talking about BMC's cracking as you say there is nothing wrong with Giant?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • ADIHEAD
    Sorry was attempting to edit when battery on laptop went! Yeh sure Max BMC's :oops:
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Take a look at the Cube range, the Cube Attempt comes in at just shy of £1000 and that's with Shimano 105. There's the Cube Peloton at around £850 with Tiagra.

Giant seem to have down specced their range and increased the prices. My Defy 2 (09) seems similar in spec now to the Defy 1.

The Defy is decent enough but if I had the choice, I'd get the Attempt.

Be careful if buying online as the sizing with Cube's tend to measure up small.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009