Gaucin, Spain

FHKJ
FHKJ Posts: 151
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Just booked a week's break at a hotel in Gaucin, looking to get some good rides in. Does anyone on here know any good routes/climbs in the area?

Thanks in advance. FJ

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great area for cycling that - almost all roads are scenic, and up or down. You can't miss the Puerto de las Palomas. The climb from the El Colmenar train station to Gaucin is great too. The Puerto de Penas Blancas is a pretty tough. But like I said, can't go wrong really.
  • FHKJ
    Brilliant, thanks FJS (great first two initials!). Spent a good chunk of today on MapmyRide and have two really good-looking 100km loops planned with lots of climbs, so thanks again.

FJ
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    edited February 2011
    Another possibility to consider to broaden your horizons is to use the local railway, allowing you to do linear routes or circular routes further afield without going over the same ground.

By catching the first train of the day from Gaucin 07.45 going north you get to Ronda 08.26 or further to Almargen 08.54 or Campillos 09.06. This would allow you to get to the reservoirs at Guadalhorce and visit El Chorro, ideal routes for a road bike. You can return to Gaucin last train arriving at 20.26.

By catching the first train of the day from Gaucin 08.15 going south you get to Jimena de la Frontera 08.30 or further to Almoraima 08.47 or San Roque 08.53. This would allow you to return to Gaucin via Castellar, the reservoir at Guadarranque and Castilo Castellar across to the coast at Sotogrande, San Martin del Tesorillo, Jimena de la Frontera. If you return to Gaucin by train the last one arrives at 19.25. Also if you plan to use the train organise your day out between Monday to Friday, this gives you the benefit of these later trains back to Gaucin.

Remember to add in the 8 mile ride to Gaucin station at El Colmenar and the 435 metre climb from the station back to Gaucin.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • I've cycled from Gaucin (actually from the next village along - Casares), and if your legs can stand it, the ride to Ronda and back is just magical. Up and down all the way, with great views. I also enjoyed the ride into the National Park, heading west (down the BIG hill) to Jimena de la Frontera and then turning northwest into the Parque Natural de los Alcornocales - lovely unspoilt scenery and quiet riding as long s you don't mind cycling past livestock in the road.

Great area for cycling.
  • FHKJ
    Just to say thanks to all of the people who posted rides here, two down so far (Penas Blancas yesterday, that starts with a kick!) and a route around Gaucin the day before. Weather beautiful, rides fantastic.

Ride to Ronda for lunch tomorrow, then struggle back with aching legs. Been a great week.

Thanks again. Francis
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    bikeboff wrote:
    I've cycled from Gaucin (actually from the next village along - Casares), and if your legs can stand it, the ride to Ronda and back is just magical. Up and down all the way, with great views. I also enjoyed the ride into the National Park, heading west (down the BIG hill) to Jimena de la Frontera and then turning northwest into the Parque Natural de los Alcornocales - lovely unspoilt scenery and quiet riding as long s you don't mind cycling past livestock in the road.

Great area for cycling.

Been to both Gaucin and Ronda, and through the Parques natural de los Alcornocales. Beautiful, beautiful place. Much recommended (though have to sayI wasn't cycling, mores the pity. I do plan on cycling there, sometime, though). When you're in Gaucin, go to the little bar in the square with the fountain in the middle of town, they do the most amazing tapas.
  • FHKJ
    Ronda ride was AMAZING. Many thanks Bikeboff. Started from the hotel (actually in St Martin, a good hour from Gaucin) then rode to Gaucin, up to Ronda, looped round through the Parque and up El Colmenar before pedalling home.

112 miles and 12,000ft of climbing so a long but fantastic day.

Thanks again, Francis
  • Gotte
    That sounds excellent. Did you see any wild horses and/or asses on the road?
  • FHKJ
    Gotte, through the Parque I saw it all, goats, horses, cows, donkeys and deer, and the roughest surface my SuperSix has ever been on! But amazing weather and an amazing route, I'll be going back again soon.
  • Gotte
    You're giving me itchy feet...