Dmr singlespeed tensioner

b16 b3n
b16 b3n Posts: 301
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, ive just bought a singlespeed restored retro 1989 muddyfox courier comp. It has a DMR tensioner, but in transit the chain came off and im not sure if the chain should go below the roller or above it. has any got any diagrams, as i put it below the roller, and it didnt like it as there was to much tension it drag the back wheel into the frame which im very annoyed about as it was totally unmarked until then.

Any help will be much appreciated as im new to the singlespeed conversions. :oops:
" GET BACK CROC "

Comments

• chain can go either side, i found it easier to push the chain up.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/res/pdf/mainten ... nstall.pdf
  • b16 b3n
    hi thanks for the input, just been out to my cold garage to have a tinker, and its a dmr sts tensioner. All i want to know is how to set it up correctly ie on the slinder and what position to have and to find out what the little black thing is for? many thanks

ben
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • i think some pics are needed from you to see where you are..

it should look like this

SS-tensioner.jpg
  • b16 b3n
    ah thats a big help. i know what my problem is now. my drop outs are forward facing and the little black lug which fits into the drop out wont allow the tensioner to line up with skewer. AH wot a Basterd, didnt know what to look for and been mugged. This would explain why my wheel surged forward into the frame. Any suggestions as to any other tensioners so i wouldnt have to fit any adaptors into the dropout.Or could i use the sts with out it being attatched to the skewer? :cry:

Time for a beer i think.

Many thanks for your generous help on a saturday nite

ben
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Get us a picture of the dropout. You almost certainly don't need a tensioner from what you've said...
  • just buy a tensioner with spring from superstar or charlie the bike monger, it just fastens in the gear hanger and you can tension up/down
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Get us a picture of the dropout. You almost certainly don't need a tensioner from what you've said...

^ this
  • b16 b3n
    hi guys, wow, overwhelemed with the help. I havent got use of a camera tonight, put i can give you a mind picture if you get me. Imagine the letter U ( U ) but turn this on its side facing forward.

Tbh i didnt think it would need a tensioner but its my first day with it.

The frame is a 1989 muddy fox courier comp.

if thats case of not needing a tensioner all i would have to do is to take some links out then?
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • b16 b3n
    guys, ive found a thread, the dropout is the 4th one down

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144350

cheers :D
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • whyamihere
    That still appears to be a vertical dropout rather than a forward facing one. If it is like that, then you'll need the tensioner, and we'll still need the picture to try to work out what's going on.
  • I don't think it's a problem with the tensioner, just how it is set up. Pics will help.

Sounds to me as if you may have got the tensioner bolted onto the dropout wrong, but no idea until we'd see some pictures.
  • b16 b3n
    hi guys, problem solved. Ive now got a DMR tension seeker 2 whick bolts directly to the dropout and this works spot on. Many thanks for your time guys

Ben
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • Chaps, I could do with some advice on the DMR STS tensioner, I've fitted it to a GT avalanche with vertical drop outs but can't get little plastic black piece to fit on to the skewer without it causing it to rub on my axle. I've looked on the net but can't find a decent pic of how to set it up, so am currently just hanging the tensioner from the derailliour hanger.

Can anyone advice how it's supposed to go on? Or does it need to be on as I can probably run the tensioner without it?

The bike is just for commuting so nothing hardcore.
  • whyamihere
    If I remember, I'll get a few photos of my STS tomorrow.
  • b16 b3n
    hi mate, thats the exact problem i had, without that little locking tab which fits into the drop and goes through the skewer, it caused my back wheel to slip foward into my frame for some reason. I bought a DMR tension seeker 2 and its sorted the problem perfectly as it just fits directly to your dropout.
    " GET BACK CROC "