My first events... I would like any advice... please?!

philspeck
philspeck Posts: 46
I've entered for the first time for the Forest of Dean Spring classic, and the 82 mile part of the Tour of Pembrokeshire...

I've never done anything like this before, and have so many questions!

any hints and tips for the actual ride?

how often are the stopping areas usually?

do many people ride with bags on their backs?

or do people stuff energy bars in pockets?

do you have to ride with your bell as per the law? (i presume you do...)

the list goes on as you can tell...

I'm more worried about that i'm a "beginner" than the distance. I don't fancy turning up with too little or too much and being the idiot for the day.
I am climbing the 3 Peaks, and cycling between them to raise money for Help for Heroes

follow me on twitter: @climbandcycle

www.justgiving.com/climbandcycle
www.climbandcycle.info

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Forget the bell! The most important point is that you enjoy the ride and to do this you need to get into training (if you haven't already) because there is no substitue for getting some miles in but don't go mad (listen to your body and have a break from training when your body tells you to). There are quite a few online guides, if you don't have one then just hollar or have a poke around the training forum.

The routes are usually well signed so no need to worry there. When it comes to feeding, the guide is to (roughly) eat as much carb in g per hour as your weight in kg and drink about 500ml of water per hour but don't fret, many folks on here have their own ways of getting through a ride.

You may find a backpack gets very uncomfortable for long rides, but I have seen guys with them. Then again, on some rides I have seen trikes, MTBs and one chap who was in fancy dress!

Get your bike set up so that it is comfortable, get the best padded bib shorts you can afford (or bib tights but shorts will do as a minimum because you can wear unpadded tights over the top), chamois cream, and the rest will fall into place.

Best of luck, oh and best tip for the ride...DON'T get sucked into someone else's pace that is a grade up from yours.
  • Ok - bell forgotten...
    Training has already begun... last week was a 30 mile ride in about 2ur 5mins
    I'm not out to do it at speed really - plan on a 30 ish mile in the morning and to increase the weekend ride over February

I have an indoor mag resistance trainer to vary training, and hopefully with footie fitness training I will have variety

Thanks for the various tips, will definitely try not to get caught up with the top riders - hopefully not anyway

I've been working on what foods and drinks work while riding at the weekends, so hope to have a good idea of what works soon...

How far apart are water stops that are usually on rides? Though I guess its different for every ride
    I am climbing the 3 Peaks, and cycling between them to raise money for Help for Heroes

www.climbandcycle.info
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Check out www.easycycling.com there is lots of great info on there.
    Also don't worry about the ride, just ride at your own pace and enjoy yourself. There will be people of all abilities riding.

Good luck
    AL
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Take some food with you. A couple of bananas or bars. Don't assume that the food stops will still have food when you get there.

Try to get into a group which matchs your pace, but don't get sucked into going too fast too early

Be realistic with your first sportive. Pick something that's a challenge but manageable

Enjoy it
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Enjoying it is what I'm aiming for - certainly not to race others!

Bananas seem to work well for me - just gonna try various different bars, maybe even the gels...

www.climbandcycle.info
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Keep an eye out on the weather and clothes you'll wear. If you get too hot it causes dehydration faster that being cool. Learn to cycle cool.

Put sensible tyres on, preferably puncture resistance ones, it's no fun getting a puncture on a sportive. Take a spare inner and patches, pump and a multi tool.

Don't carry too much food or gels or water if there's service stations, grab the sausage rolls there and have a brief rest.

Not many road bike riders carry back bags, some MTB riders do. Every extra weight you carry is amplified a million times on 80 milers. Bum bags and backpacks just rub on your waist and shoulders. Use a handlebar bag or saddlebag for tools, inner and phone.

Empty your bowels before the ride. You'll probably see loads doing that in fields. Avoid alcohol the night before. Muscle cramp seems to be common on some sportives, the Northern Rock Cyclone I saw lots of muscle cramped riders.

Use this as an experience not a race or rush.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    On the Forest of Dean sportive there will probably be two food stops at roughly one-third and two-thirds distance. Last year they were pretty well stocked with bananas, cakes and energy drinks. The stops were in village halls so also had loos. Signage was also excellent. There was also hot food and drink at the end of the event included in the entry fee last year.

The Forest of Dean sportive has 14 named hills and a few unnamed ones - so training on some long hills will pay off. Also the last hill at Symonds Yat is approx 1 in 4 so keep some energy in reserve for that.

Might be worth taking some Nuun tablets with you in order to add to water at one of the stops - this should help prevent cramp.
  • Thanks for the forest of dean tips - hills shouldn't be a problem to train on round where I live in the south Wales valleys!

I'm gradually increasing the time and distance I spend in the saddle as I go.

Sunday just gone I did 37 mile round trip - not much to most of you, but I haven't been doing long.

I'm trying to follow a schedule someone gave me recently, so I have goals and targets to reach.

I'm looking forward to more and more!!

www.climbandcycle.info
  • yeah FOD is a very hilly course, climbs arent massive in comparison to other rides but its a very up and down route and some people under estimate how regular you find yourself hitting short but steep climbs again and again. take as much grub as you can comfotabley carry in your pockets. May not need it all but finding youself short will be nasty. and have the tools,patches/spare tubes you need in a saddle bag.

and make sure you got some overshoes or thick socks and a good jacket lol as it always rains
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • done a few sportives and gradually learning what works best for me:
    arm & leg warmers keep you warm for early starts but can be removed and stuffed in pockets.
    2 bottles - one with energy drink other plain to help get food down regularly.
    plastic sandwich bag to keep phone and cash in plus pain killers just in case.
    buff to keep neck warm to stop getting stiff later on.

as everyone else here has said don't try and follow a faster group than you are comfortable with. Try and hold some effort back for the later stages that will seem to drag whether they are flat or hilly.

if you know there are some long hills, don't go at them like a bull at a gate just because you get passed at the bottom. Better to settle in to rhythmn that you know you're comfortable with.
  • the 2 bottles seems like a good idea to me...
    although I use a camel back at the mo - do many people use them? Maybe I'll have that with plain water and an energy drink in the bottle.

Hadn't thought of pain killers - but seem obvious now some one has mentioned it!!

Also, I have a wind proof neck gaiter, which from what has been said could come in useful for sure!!

thanks for all these thoughts!! It's gratefully received I can assure you!!

Have a look at the blog I write... and see what else all this sportive work and advice is helping me do... and how else it s affecting me!!

http://climbandcycle.info/archives/category/blog

Totally addicted to cycling now!!!

www.climbandcycle.info
  • I've seen a few riders with Camelbaks and I use one when mountain biking but prefer not to have one when on long distance road trips as it's just an extra bit of kit/weight I could do without.
  • philspeck wrote:
    the 2 bottles seems like a good idea to me...
    although I use a camel back at the mo - do many people use them? Maybe I'll have that with plain water and an energy drink in the bottle.

Hadn't thought of pain killers - but seem obvious now some one has mentioned it!!

1. Maybe only a few percent use camelbacks. As I mentioned before, it's extra rubbing on the shoulders over the longer rides. It may be comfortable to start with, but wait until the sweat soaks your tired shoulders. Test a few weeks before if you insist on using it.

2. Pain killers at the end of the FoD is OK, but beware of taking them on the ride. They may mask a serious muscle/ligament damage and also may make you a bit drowsy.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • great points there Buckled_Rims...

I was thinking more that pain killers would be handy to have around at the end if needs be (hopefully there wont be)

I've been riding with my camelback on every weekend ride - though I would acknowledge that I am riding with several layers at the mo, due to the chilly conditions some Sunday mornings!

I will certainly be trying it week in week out to see how it goes.

Do people find riding with one large water bottle enough then? I guess I'm more worried ending up at the point where I haven't brought enough water or whatever on the ride...

www.climbandcycle.info
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Get yourself along to your nearest clubs group ride and try to learn a bit about group riding etiquette (unless you plan to ride alone). You'll enjoy the event more if you zoom along in a group.

The thing is if you haven't ridden in a group before you'll probably get dropped purely because you're not used to following a wheel closely enough (rather than anything to do with your fitness). At first you tend to sit too far back from the wheel ahead and not get sufficient benefit from the slipstream.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • i guess i ddn't plan to ride on my own - though i will be going on my own, and FOD spring classic will be my first ever event.

group etiquette is something i've been trying to read up on, like i've said before i don't particularly want to piss anyone off. i can see the benefit of riding with a group - i used to run a lot, and know from that, that it is much easier to run in group.

i've thought about joining a club - but finding it hard to find one local to me
    I know of Cardiff Ajax, which is a bit of a drive (and basically where I work) One thing i like about riding straight from home is not being near work! or having to trace the journey i make to work 5/6 times a week.

www.climbandcycle.info
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dulldave wrote:
    Get yourself along to your nearest clubs group ride and try to learn a bit about group riding etiquette (unless you plan to ride alone). You'll enjoy the event more if you zoom along in a group.

The thing is if you haven't ridden in a group before you'll probably get dropped purely because you're not used to following a wheel closely enough (rather than anything to do with your fitness). At first you tend to sit too far back from the wheel ahead and not get sufficient benefit from the slipstream.

Good... I wouldnt want anyone on my back wheel who hasnt had a good few months of 'nouse' of handling themselves in a group , thank you....
  • See its often comments like that which intimidate new riders and ends up in them not doing rides that they otherwise should feel free to enjoy and take part in.

People have to gain experience somewhere, sometime - and if you don't like cycling infront, behind or to the side of a less experienced cyclist, then your obviously a far superior cyclist and should be able to pull away and cycle somewhere else.

Of course you may have said it in jest, therefore it doesn't matter.

Just consider your words.

www.climbandcycle.info
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    philspeck wrote:
    i guess i ddn't plan to ride on my own - though i will be going on my own, and FOD spring classic will be my first ever event.

group etiquette is something i've been trying to read up on, like i've said before i don't particularly want to wee-wee anyone off. i can see the benefit of riding with a group - i used to run a lot, and know from that, that it is much easier to run in group.

i've thought about joining a club - but finding it hard to find one local to me
    I know of Cardiff Ajax, which is a bit of a drive (and basically where I work) One thing i like about riding straight from home is not being near work! or having to trace the journey i make to work 5/6 times a week.

It doesn't take long to pick up. If you can't get yourself along to a group ride beforehand just attach yourself to the back of a group. In a sportive, groups tend to have about 3 or 4 workers and the rest are just hanging on. So there's not much movement at the back of the group. Just try to stay within a wheel length of the wheel in front.

Don't overlap the wheel you're following cos you'll be on your ass if they make a sudden sidewards swerve. The wheel you're following may move backward when the rider gets out of the saddle so be wary of that if you've close.

If you see an older rider with a club top on in the group, announce yourself as a group riding newbie and they'll probably help you out.

Riding in groups will open a new and very enjoyable dimension to your riding so if you can, get yourself involved in a local group.
    philspeck wrote:
    See its often comments like that which intimidate new riders and ends up in them not doing rides that they otherwise should feel free to enjoy and take part in.

People have to gain experience somewhere, sometime - and if you don't like cycling infront, behind or to the side of a less experienced cyclist, then your obviously a far superior cyclist and should be able to pull away and cycle somewhere else.

Of course you may have said it in jest, therefore it doesn't matter.

Just consider your words.

+1
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    I too have entered my first sportive. 27th Feb rearranged Cumbrian Xmas Cracker. relatively short at 57 miles, 5,000 ft + of climbing. The thing that worries me most is the group riding aspect. would it be ok just ride at the back of the group without doing a stint up front? I fear I maybe a menace to others if I start manouvering through a tightly packed group.
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    I too have entered my first sportive. 27th Feb rearranged Cumbrian Xmas Cracker. relatively short at 57 miles, 5,000 ft + of climbing. The thing that worries me most is the group riding aspect. would it be ok just ride at the back of the group without doing a stint up front? I fear I maybe a menace to others if I start manouvering through a tightly packed group.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think you will find that the majority of sportives do not have a big peleton that stays together so I wouldn't worry too much. I have found that after the first 10 miles or so it generally breaks down as there is such a wide variation of fitness/experience and also the fact that everyone is riding for different reasons (such as trying to break a PB or just spinning to enjoy the ride).

The best way to learn group riding is to ride in a group. May sound like stupid advice (so apologies for stating the obvious). Why not see if you can get out with a few friends or a local club (most will let you do a few free rides so you can use that to learn and you may even find that you like them enough to join)? There's only a few rules to learn and it ain't rocket science.

I don't mind wheel suckers but some folks do...but I think that sitting at the back and grabbing hold the whole way misses the point (as in, try to hook up with someone similar to yourself, ride alongside where possible and have a chat...but not if the chap's suffering when riding up a big hill, bad form you know :wink: )
  • Thanks for the support dulldave (+1 I guess is an indication of support... I hope)

I think I will be trying to go along with a group ride at some point to gain a bit of experience, but maybe I'll be using the first ones to find out if I can even cope with the distance!

Hopefully I'll be able to cut it... in time

i have to say thanks to everyone who is chipping in with advice and hints and tips on this subject - its great for anyone doing this for the first time. except for the odd one of course...

much appreciated.[/quote]

www.climbandcycle.info