Uneven tread and tubeless problems?

TheJackal
TheJackal Posts: 169
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just fitted some new Syncros tyres that I've never used before and noticed that when I spin the wheel the tread seems to turn unevenly. The outer tread knobs, on one side, are definitely not parallel throughout the whole tyre.

Never had this problem before with Maxxis or Schwalbe.

How likely is it that the tread is actually uneven? Or is it possible that the bead isn't seated right? The other one seems OK.

Another thing is that having ridden the tyre once, it does stay up but does tend to lose air over a period of 3 days, if not topped up.

I use a ghetto tubeless set-up but have never had any problems before.

Maybe I should just over-inflate it, to make sure that all the tyre is seated in the rim?
2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs

Comments

• coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    Give it a good pump up to around 50psi and then submerse in your bath tub.

Obviously only put in enough to cover the side wall. that should help to identify any leaks.
  • TheJackal
    TheJackal Posts: 169
    Thanks Coopsman1.

Doean't really explain the uneven tread but I'll do this to see if there's any air coming out from elsewhere.
    2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    TheJackal wrote:
    Thanks Coopsman1.

Doean't really explain the uneven tread but I'll do this to see if there's any air coming out from elsewhere.

The chances are the tyre bead is not seated properly. Check it is not pinched on the rim anywhere.

I've found the easiest way to get the bead to seat is to......... remove the wheel and stand on the pinched section of tyre then push the top of the rim away from you.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Hi,
    I really hope you have not pumped to 50 psi, on some ghetto (most) that will stretch the bead and cause a blow out!

carefull, if kevlar bead, or a loose fit 40PSI may even be too much.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    sounds like the bead isnt seated right, keep pumpng it up untill it seats correctly then reduce the pressure to the level you prefer.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I would say seat it by hand, pull the tyre into place, overinfflation has caused to many explosions for me. At least you spray the room with goo and scare the shit out of yourself, the worst I have had is a tear in the tyre, I have heard of wheels being damaged by overinflation blowing the bead (do not underestimate the force that is released whena bead goes.)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I tried ghetto tubeless on narrow 717 rims. The 20” innertube had thicker rubber around the valve which went slightly up the rim walls. It was not possible to get the tyre to seat properly with this combination. I have got a successful tubeless setup now with just insulation tape and an old valve. Easy to change tyres.