£3500 to buy a new carbon steed>>>thoughts please

haveitmyson
haveitmyson Posts: 38
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello

am having a bit of a dilemma! i started cycling 2 years ago when i purchased a trek 1.7. I now love my riding and have used my trek for weekly rides of about 35 miles with a group of mates (very competitive!) and used it to commute most days. Its now time for a really nice carbon bike and have kind of narrowed it down to a AR3/F3. i dont really do big long 90 mile rides "yet" so a bit confused over what model to go for. The AR3 looks crackin. any advice would be great including any other bikes i should look at around £3.5K eg giant etc

Is there another bike i should consider

I havnt tried them yet but like them they seem a good spec and nice frames? Oh I'm about 6"1 if that helps
Cheers

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Canyon ? Renowned for being stiff frames and as you're a bit of a bigger guy a carbon Canyon might suit.
  • cheers ill have a look at canyon too
  • looked at canyon website, it all gets a bit confusing!! as i cant see myself doing longer rides of more than 50 miles should i be considering an aero frame bike?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Assuming the bikes you refered to above are Felts, then this should be perfect:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/pr ... Road-56cm/
  • yes they are felts that had caught my eye, has anyone got a felt and if so what do they think
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    WTF?

That felt look like an amazing deal!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    di2 for 3g. wtf
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • At your price bracket I would think you would want something a little bit more ''special' than a felt. You could easily build a nice Cervelo r3 if you picked up last years frame or how about a Cube. Colnago and Pinarello are certainly not out of the question.

Having said that the Felt at the link above is a bargain.[/url]
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That Felt with Di2 is a bargain. They do your size too (58!)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    how much is di2 for group only?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    For di2 groupset

£2000+
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod SRAM Red
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Ooh, that's a good one too.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The Felt is an amazing bargain if you are into battery powered Shimano - well spotted letap!

For those of a Campag persuasion I suspect your £3.5k should be able to swing a deal on a Wilier (albeit used). Looks the right size for you (I've no connection with the seller!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Peter
  • £3500 what a budget i could buy a car for that
    going downhill slowly
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Colnago M10 with Campagnolo Record or Super Record Groupset?
    Just get some cheep Fulcrum racing 7 wheels if it maxes out your budget.
    http://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/m10
  • Karl2010
    Or this http://www.feltbicycles.com/United-Kingdom/2011/Road/AR-Series/AR1.aspx

You can get the frame for £2500.00. That leaves £1000.00 for groupset & wheels
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Colnago M10 with Campagnolo Record or Super Record Groupset?
    Just get some cheep Fulcrum racing 7 wheels if it maxes out your budget.
    http://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/m10
    that's like going to work in a tailored suit with slippers.
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    edited January 2011
    Hi, I am using my first Felt, and it is my first carbon frame too. I built this for same budget and feel that there is no other bike i would ride better on,(ie, i'm not hankering after anything else!) so can wholeheartedly recommend the AR series. This is an AR1, mostly ultegra, and Reynolds Assaults. The bars are temporary, and will be changed soon. I was also looking at the F series, but opted for the aero for it's slimmer profile, rather than out and out stiffness, i have another bike for that.. This feels very smooth, yet very sprightly, climbs well, better than i expected to be honest, and it still takes some of the buzz out of the road surface, which was my reason for choosing a carbon frame. If you are careful you can build a better bike than the AR3 for the same money, 2010 frame though.

IMG_0547.jpg

Let us know what you decide..
  • Karl2010
    Nice bike Paul.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Nice bike Paul.

+1 :)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Although that Felt di2 is still a bargain it's not the full group (brakes and chainset are Ultegra), it's also externally routed cabling so won't be to everyone's tastes.
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    rjh299 wrote:
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Nice bike Paul.

+1 :)

+2
  • Hi Paul

Nice bike, how do you find it on longer rides ie is it a comfortable position or very racey

to me the AR3 seems a really good of the shelf spec and i presume a lightweight rig too
  • Alright, if i didn't have a nice bike and had 3.5k to build one i'd do something like ...

Canyon Utimate SLX - c.£1300
    Campagnolo Record - c.£1000
    Shamal tubs - £600
    Rest - Ritchey/Deda alloy bar and stem, cages, carbon seatpost, saddle etc - c£500

Something like that anyway ... if you could raise the budget then you could buy Boras
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Bikes like the Felt AR series are becoming more popular especially with the success of the likes of Cervelo S2 and S3. I just feel they are a bit of a niche bike where you want the aero benefits but are prepared to loose some stiffness and pay a bit of a weight penalty - do these compromises really matter to an eveyday cyclist? Probably not. For me and the hilly cycling I tend to do I wouldn't go the aero route and tend more to traditional style such as Canyon SLX, Cervelo R series or Felt Z series. So the point I'm eventually getting around to is go for a bike that fits your needs and type of riding you do.
    The good thing is for £3500 you can have a fabulous bike.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Hi,

So far, being the depths of winter, i've only done several rides up to 75 miles, and it's been fine, and have no doubts about doing 130+ on it. I have an Arione on it, and am only so-so on that, but for me, and the way i ride, (been riding for 18 yrs), it works well, i have a fairly short stem, though may reduce it to 90mm depending on the outcome of the bars. It currently weighs 17lb exactly. Does the AR3 usually come with sram though? See if you can try one of each somewhere is my advice, and if your trek fits you well, measure all the critical dimensions and check out which model is closest, although either could be adjusted to fit.

Cheers