Gore Phantom II vs Gore Tool

mjgoodhand
mjgoodhand Posts: 34
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm about to buy my first decent winter jacket and am torn between the Gore Phantom and the Gore Tool. What are the differences between the two jackets? I know the Phantom has detachable arms (although I'm not too bothered about that having a decent gilet already).

I don't ride in REALLY cold weather down to around freezing (-1 to -2 degrees C) plus a little bit of wind chill.

I'm also after a bit of advice on sizing. I'm 5'10" and weigh around 13 stone (just over at the moment) with a 34-35" waist. I usually wear large gear.

I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Martin

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't know about the Tool but the reflective bands on the Phantom's arms tend to twist inward and are pretty useless in a riding position. I know one or two others with the same issue.

As for size, the cut is what I'd call generous - especially around the middle. I'm guessing you'd be better off with a medium. I have a large (at 6") only because it would be tight across the shoulders otherwise (I've wide shoulders). 33" waist and it's loose around my middle and I'm far from a racing snake.

I think, given the choice again, I'd go for the Tool - but I've never tried one.

Good jackets though - warm & keep you dry in all but heavy rain
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    You need to try a medium. I'm the same height and 1.5st heavier than you and have a large phantom.

I've never used a Gore Tool, in fact I've never seen one. I can say that I really like my phantom.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I have a gore tool and am very happy with it. Had too many glasses of wine to write a review though!! :lol:

I am a very similar size and a large is a perfect fit.

Cheers Stuart.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I don't know about the Tool but the reflective bands on the Phantom's arms tend to twist inward and are pretty useless in a riding position. I know one or two others with the same issue.

Win some, lose some.

The strips are ideally placed to be visible when signalling. If they were placed to be visible when riding they wouldn't be visible when signalling. I'd take the view that my lights should take care of visibility when just riding along.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    andrew_s wrote:

Win some, lose some.

The strips are ideally placed to be visible when signalling. If they were placed to be visible when riding they wouldn't be visible when signalling. I'd take the view that my lights should take care of visibility when just riding along.

Hmm - I'm not sure. Whatever, the Gore photos clearly intend for them to be down the forward-facing part of the arm in the riding position. That said, the tool has little or no reflective stripes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've been out today, no wind but it was cold. Is the Tool generally warmer than the Phantom or isn't there much in it. I think if there isn't much in it then I'll go for the Phantom.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I had both for a while - it was the first version of the Phantom so might not be entirely up to date. The Tool uses a heavier weight fabric than the Phantom - but with the pit zips, you still can lose heat, it has more/better pockets too. The Phantom received little use and I sold it after a year or two - it wasn't a good enough cut for fast road riding and wasn't as versatile or comfortable as the Tool. The Tool is still my first choice jacket for those really cold days when it's too icy or snowy for the road after 5 years. The Phantom zip-off sleeves were pretty useless - it was simply too baggy cut to be of any use in warmer weather.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..