New Bike - FOX 32 Forks pressure problem

squired
squired Posts: 1,153
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I've just got myself a Hardtail with "FOX 32 F100 RL 100mm" forks. Upon delivery I noticed that there appeared to be no pressure in suspension. So, today I went out and bought a suspension pump and put air in. Tonight I've had another look and the pressure has gone again. Is this a sign of a problem with the forks, or is there something simple that I need to do to fix the problem?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try tightening the shrader valve core. Or to check if it is leaking there, put some drops of water in the top of the valve and look for bubbles.
  • squired
    supersonic wrote:
    Try tightening the shrader valve core. Or to check if it is leaking there, put some drops of water in the top of the valve and look for bubbles.

I just tried with some water and there was no sign of bubbles coming up through the valve. I sat there watching for about 5 minutes, so I'm guessing that would have been ample time to see bubbles forming. Any other ideas? I got the bike from Wiggle and really don't want to have to send anything back to them if I can at all help it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seems there is an leak internally. Having the same probs with a fork of mine, just about to take it apart!

I would send it back to be truthfully honest. Drop them an email, they should collect and return it. You don't want to invalidate the warranty by taking apart.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If you have tightened the valve core, and are using the shock pump correctly, then the fofork is not as it should be. A service on them will cost you upwards of 70 quid . Sure you dont want to send it back?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it really losing ALL the pressure?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • squired
    I've emailed them and am waiting for a response. I'll have to see if I can just send the forks back (I don't want to have to box up and send the whole bike).

The final problem, if it has to go back, is that I'll have to work out what to do about getting it collected, as there is no-one at home during the week.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's new and faulty it's up to the seller to arrange collection etc at their expense. Take it to work and let them arrange a courier there.

Wiggle will know all of this, and I would not expect you will have any problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • squired
    nicklouse wrote:

After 6 hours there wasn't much left. It may have lost the pressure quickly, but I wasn't checking it.
    ncooldad wrote:
    If it's new and faulty it's up to the seller to arrange collection etc at their expense. Take it to work and let them arrange a courier there.

To get it to work I would have to ride it (13km), as I don't have a car. I'll just have to see what they say I guess. Would the courier collect the bike unboxed though?
  • For what it's worth I had received a focus black forest pro from wiggle in the summer, when it arrived one of the gear cable outers was broken off at the shifter and the cable frayed. I sent them an email to get it sorted really not wanting to send the bike back and they agreed to pay the bill for my LBS to sort it out (I know gear cables can be sorted DIY but I didn't have the time nor inclination given it was a brand new bike)

You could try this path, maybe contact you LBS to see if they're happy having a look for you in order to avoid sending the bike back although I know that Mojo (and TFTuned?) are the only official fox service centres for warranty stuff.

In all my dealings with wiggle customer service they've sorted me out without fuss so if you let them know your concerns/problems about getting it fixed they'll no work around it.

Good luck getting the forks sorted :)
  • squired
    OK, I'll have a chat with them and see what options they give me. Presumably they will just communicate by email, or is someone actually likely to phone?

It is disappointing after spending a lot of money on a bike to have a problem like this. I not blaming Wiggle though. Presumably the person checking it over will have noticed the low pressure and just added some before the bike was sent out, thinking that was all it needed.
  • I have had phone calls from wiggle but only regarding the set up of the bike and an issue with the payment from a credit card (payment was blocked despite informing the card company beforehand that a big transaction would be coming through :evil: )

If you'd rather call them I can try to dig out (or I'm sure you can find) a phone number for them but they tend to be quite snappy and helpful with the emails, just depends how long you want to wait I guess (don't know if they answer either phones or emails at the weekend)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    squired wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

After 6 hours there wasn't much left. It may have lost the pressure quickly, but I wasn't checking it.

so what was the pressure compared to what you set it to?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • squired
    nicklouse wrote:
    so what was the pressure compared to what you set it to?

Under 20psi. I'd set it at 70.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How heavy are you? That's quite low, and easy enough to lose 20-30 psi just connecting up the shock pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • squired
    I'm just under 11 stone. I could feel from the forks that the pressure had gone. When I pushed down on them they barely returned at all.