Problems with avid juicy 3 - set up help needed

Rickster1978
Rickster1978 Posts: 31
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Probably a really silly question but still need some advice none the less.

Ive just bought a used Carrera fury, very pleased with the condition but I'm not sure how to set up the brakes.

I can't actually get the wheels on the thing at the moment as the pads are too close together to slide the rotor through.

I know it's probably a silly question but I'm new to hydraulics and discs in general and don't want to balls it all up!!

Comments

• just use a flat balded srew driver to prise them appart and push the pistons back. Then put the wheel in and pump the lever a few times. They should be sorted then.
  • Brilliant I'll give that a go and see how I get on.
  • oh, I forgot to say the reason for it. It happens when the levers are pulled when the wheel is out, so nothing for the pads to press against. Basically, don't pull the brake levers when the wheel is removed
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That caught me out first time too. Had driven all the way to Swinley, and spent ages in the car park trying to work out what was wrong and gave up, came home, and then got the same answer on the forums. D'oh! Fixed, headed out again, first ride on the bike - instant pinch flat, and hadn't got a pump or spare tube at that point.

P.S. Ideally take the pads out and use old pads when doing the screwdriver thing to avoid damaging the pads. But I've got away just using the new pads and being gentle. Needs some force though to push the pistons, just try to avoid the screwdriver digging into the pads.

Another tip when fitting is to use card the thickness of business card, either side of the disc and pump the lever when the wheel is fitted. Apparently gives you an ideal space between pad and disc and avoids them going too close.

Finally, with the wheel off, use some cardboard and stuff between the pads to help avoid them pushing together. You can also get Avid plastic spacer things. They should come with the brakes but I never got any.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Use a plastic tyre lever if you don't want to damage the pads. Anything that's strong without sharp edges should do the trick. Just slide it in and give it a wiggle (ooo 'er).