Which Front Mech?

Dom_MBUK
Dom_MBUK Posts: 96
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Im building up an intense 5.5, with Raceface evolve XC triple cranks 44/32/22. Im currently searching for a front mech that has a 30.5 clamp, although can't find one with this size clamp - Can I use reducer shims to reduce the size of a bigger clamp?

Secondly, Im not sure whether I need a bottom or top pull/swing arm, could anyone please provide any neccessary advice I need so that I can get a front mech that is compatible with the raceface cranks listed above.

Thanks in advance!
Intense 5.5 EVP

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep all come with the mech to fit that size.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's an odd size? Standard are 28.6, 31.8 and 34.9.
    Swing of mech depends on downtube and whether anything will get in the way.
    I think they come with a top swing, top pull, but many mechs are dual pull anyway..
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes it is a rather odd size - I guess I'll have to buy a 31.8 and use some shims so that it fits the downtube. Thanks cooldad, I'll try and invest in a dual pull then!
    Intense 5.5 EVP
  • cooldad
    I'd double check your measurements.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12726337
    Originally came with a Shimano XT and never heard of one with that clamp size.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yes my foolish error gave me incorrect measurements! In fact I measured the dimensions of tube the wrong way! I need a 34.9mm clamp!

Thanks for all your help cooldad!
    Intense 5.5 EVP
  • Is there also a similar method I can use to find out which size seat post I require? Thanks

(It's for an intense 5.5)
    Intense 5.5 EVP
  • cooldad
    Not really unless you have a vernier calliper or something like that to measure it, but if you just use a tape measure on the diameter It's probably 30.9mm, so if it seems close to that maybe take a chance.
    30.9 is fairly common (on bikes with 34.9 clamps) so you could try a couple of friends and see what they have.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools