superstar plasma chain device

an_original_name
an_original_name Posts: 339
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
so i've been running one of these in a 1x9 setup for 2 months or so now and i love it. however, i've recently noticed that there is very little clearance between the plate and my back tyre.

DSC00599-1.jpg

that gap is about 5mm. when pedaling out of the saddle or cornering hard i can hear the tyre rubbing against the plate, presumably because the frame/tyre/wheel is flexing slightly.

i can't rotate the whole plate round to move it down and away from the tyre because the upper guide then catches the chainstay when i bottom out the suspension, and i can't shim out the whole chain device as then it wont line up with the chain ring.

if i can't find a decent solution i'm just going to take a hacksaw to it and remove the part of the plate that is exposed after the lower guide, but i'd rather not.

anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: the wheel is ture and dished in the centre of the frame so that isn't causing it.

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Does the lower guide not slide up further towards the centre of the BB?
  • its not the guide that is catching the tyre, its the back plate.

this bit:
    DSC00600-1.jpg

sorry about the blury pictures. crap phone camera :roll:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Cut and file well, that's all I can suggest if the guide is in it's best position! Make sure you file it well so it wont cut into the tyre if it does hit.

Might be worth getting the wheel retensioned at your LBS though, mines as close as that and the wheel don't flex that much that it catches!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lets have a nice side on pic of the whole device.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DSC00603.jpg

i've also tried rotating the whole thing counter clockwise and then adjusting the upper guide, but then the chain rubs on it in most gears so don't really want to do that.

Might be worth getting the wheel retensioned at your LBS though, mines as close as that and the wheel don't flex that much that it catches!

the wheel is only about 3 months old, and i've had it retensioned by my lbs (palace cycles in carlisle have a very good wheel builder btw) about a month ago after the bedding in process, so i don't think that will make any difference.
  • Its the frame. When I had a Pitch the back end would flex loads when I was really pushing it through a corner or landing on it at an angle.

Are they hope hoops?

If so swap the rear axle from a QR to a boltup this should stiffen the back end a bit. Pitch seat stays are really skinny and need all the help they can get.

If this still isnt stiff enough or you cant change the axle then cut down the guide.