rust on stanchions?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been out to tinker with my bike a little today, and i noticed some small patches of rust on the stanchions of my fork (tora 302 solo air) as i've had to keep it outside under a bike shelter due to not being allowed to keep bikes in rooms at uni (though i think i'll have to anyway). anyway, i rubbed the rust off and in a couple of places, a tiny bit of the chrome plating on the stanchions has come off... I know this isn't good, but can i still run the fork like this or is it pretty much totalled and needing new uppers? It's my hack bike, so it's not a HUGE issue... but i want to be able to ride it a CYB tomorrow...
cheers
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Another victim claimed by the salting of the roads.

I would have used something like plusgas to clear off the rust.

search on cleaning seals.

apart from that dry off the stanchions after every ride.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • ilovedirt
    fair enough, i guess i'll just have to see how i go, and if they start leaking oil etc, then scrap them... ah well
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    edited January 2011
    If your that woried about it use some autosol and lightly polish off the corrosion. if you are realy worried about the exposed patches a fine coat of epoxy resin (araldite) on the area and then rub it smoothe with some 3000 grit wet and dry (This works for deep scratches and scuffs on the stanchions).

Clean stanchions down after every down poor and / or ride and wipe on some

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3150

or spray on

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/stendec-silic ... p-687.html
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Big thing is to get rid of roughness so the stantions dont tear at the seals. Clean and dress any rough spots with epoxy filler, as described above and also in a recent magazine.
  • ilovedirt
    Thanks guys, think i'll have a go at that and keep the bike inside
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5