Shiney is good!

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I have some old Campag parts which are somewhat dulled on the once shiney metal - it's not orange rust but it does look somewhat corroded. I'd like to polish them up and try and get them to look 'new' again. I've been told to use Emery paper to remove the dulling and that should bring up the shine; however I'd like to see what you guys thought.

If they can be brought up to a shiney finish, how would I keep them that way? Clear lacquer that would likely wear off or is there something better?

Thanks.

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    autosol metal polish is very good and quite agressive. you probably wouldnt need to sand it first. works on all kinds of metal.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165527
    it even removed the nasty brown heat marks on a stainless steel exhaust. itl fetch rust off too. mebe car polish would stop it dulling. i think pro metal polishers use a type of wax on a buffing wheel
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got some of that to tart up the dull alloy parts on an 80's Peugeot my son was given. Requires a bit of effort, but it does bring them up nicely. And it leaves a wax behind which helps the shine to stay.

And it smells quite nice too!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Emery paper is too coarse - try the finest grade of Scotchbrite pad (green) with Autosol - isn't as abrasive as steel wool.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Cheers guys :)

I got the metal polish today, although it's struggling to get it off. I'll grab some Scotchbrite pads when I can pick some up. I have use the metal polish on the cranks though and they're now bright enough to blind drivers.

Whilst I was in Halfords I thought I should grab some paint for touching up the old Ribble. Got hold of Cherry red purely on guess work - when I tried it it's an absolute perfect match for the frame!