[Help Needed] Bike storage at home

lazyP
lazyP Posts: 3
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to take a few minutes of your time with helping me with my final major project.

Just a brief introduction as to who and what I am doing:
I’m a Product & Furniture Design student currently in my third and final year at Kingston University, within Greater London. My final project is themed ‘Living with cycling’. In short, I will tackle the problem with storage of bike(s) within urban/city/town households.

The following questions will help me gauge and channel into whichever direction it takes me. Further development and insight will then follow and, finally a full working prototype. I order to make this project as successful as possible; I will need YOUR knowledge and first-hand experiences in order to do this.

This information will be invaluable towards my project and any information you give out, it will be an extensive part of my overall project.

Please answer the questions as fully as possible. The questions are as follows…

1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these

2) How many bikes do you own?

3) What type of dwelling do you reside in? I.e. house, flat, studio etc

4) Is it a rented property?

5) Where do you store your bike(s)?

6) Do you use existing bike storage solutions?

If no, why is that?

7) What are the problems/pain in the backside/hassles do you deal with when storing your bikes?

8 ) Imagine you have arrived outside your home, what are the step-by-step motions do you go through? (In as much detail as possible)

If you feel comfortable, you can email your answers to: lazyperfectionist@btinternet.com

Thank you very much for taking your time out to fill this in, and again all of the information given will pay dividends towards my final major project.

Alex

Comments

• Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these
    commuting, fitness, enthusiast

One

House

Yes

After obtaining the g/f's approval, in the hallway

No

If no, why is that?
    It's kept in my hall way at home and indoors in the office during work

7) What are the problems/pain in the backside/hassles do you deal with when storing your bikes?
    None relating to wear I keep mine

8 ) Imagine you have arrived outside your home, what are the step-by-step motions do you go through? (In as much detail as possible)
    Pick my bike up, carry it up some steep steps to my front door, rest it in the hallway as I pass through
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • lazyP
    lazyP Posts: 3
    Thanks to everyone who has filled out my questions, much appreciated. More the merrier :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Enthusiasm, commuting, fitness.

Flat

4) Is it a rented property? Yes

5) Where do you store your bike(s)? At my parents place (though as of next week one will be in the communal corridor)

6) Do you use existing bike storage solutions? No.

If no, why is that? None exist

7) What are the problems/pain in the backside/hassles do you deal with when storing your bikes? Other users of the building and no-where else to store it - space is at a premium when you rent in South West London.

Carry up bike a few steps and dump it in the communal corridor?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Fitness and enjoyment

Four and a half
    House

No, mortgaged

Detatched garage

I have one of these installed : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10230 and three waiting to be installed, but the Mrs is insisting that we keep the fridge and freezer which are taking up the space "just in case" !!

If no, why is that?
    Other than the fridge freezer issue, I don't really need storage solutions. the ereason I have the hooks is that they keep things tidier.

Getting back up the steps to my front door in cycling shoes, or wet cold feet, in the winter, if I take them off.

Ride up my drive, open garage door, negotiate the cr*p that's in my garage, lean bike against wall or other bikes, lock them all (actually, threading the locks through them all can be a pain in the ar*e), set alarm, close garage, stagger up steps like a baby giraffe on roller skates, enter house, annoy the Mrs because my cleats are marking the carpet.

Probably not a great deal of help to be honest, and my answers are somewhat tongue in cheek, so don't get p*ssed off with me :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Commuting/fitness

Two

House

Owned

Hallway/garage

No

If no, why is that?
    Not needed, more than enough space available

None really, grubby carpet in the hallways sometimes

Off bike
    Gloves helmet off
    Lights off
    Unlock door
    Turn alarm off
    Bring helpmet and gloves in
    Wheel bike in
    Feed cat
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • 1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these
    All three

3 full size + 1 folder

Semi detached house

No

Garage

No, but will get a metal bike store when finances allow
    If no, why is that?
    Finance

Getting past the cars in the drive

Get off
    Wheel/carry bike past cars to garage door
    Walk round to rear door
    Enter garage walk through and open front door
    Move bike into garage
    Close door
    Secure bike
  • 1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these

Commuting, enthusiast, leisure rides with friends/family

2, road and mtb

Upstairs maisonette, own front door, small hallway upstairs to dwelling

I bought it!

In the small hallway on the ground floor.

MTB folds in half (Dahon matrix) and roadie hangs up vertically from front wheel hook on the wall.

Water dripping off them when getting home from wet ride. So changed the flooring to vinyl. Generally a jigsaw puzzle to get all the bikes in with room for pram etc.
    No where to wash / maintain bikes indoors. Have to do it on front door step.

Balance bike on edge of front step. Helmet off, gloves and glasses into helmet. Keys from side pocket of rucksack, unlock door (turn off alarm). Helmet onto side shelf.

MTB - fold and stow into it's allocated space.
    Road - pick up vertically and hang from front wheel

Shoes off.

Drip dry clothes on front radiator if it's been raining.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248

Mainly keeping fit, enjoyment. But also to get about sometimes.

2 ( well 3, but my mountain bike is crap and I hardly ever ride it ).

House

No

Garage

Errm... not sure what you mean. I don't think so. Well, I hang them in the garage.

If no, why is that?

No idea what these are.

The garage is quite full. Wife has 3 bikes, son has 2 bikes, daughter has 2 bikes.

Unclip foot from pedal, dismount. Take off gloves. Take key out of back pocket, unlock front door. Get garage key, open garage door, take off helmet, put on shelf, places glasses into helmet. Remove spare tyre and levers from back pocket, place in helmet.
    Pick up rag, do some basic cleaning (depending on whether I'm in a hurry).
    May involve going into house to get hot water.
    Pick up bike, put it on rack in garage, do more cleaning, lock it (if it's my good bike).
    Close garage door. Lock garage, go into house.
    Clean floor in house before wife notices marks on floor.
    Remove overshoes, cycle shoes.
    Sorry, I left out quite a lot of detail about cleaning.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    commuting / fitness

2, one for commuting, one for fitness/competing

Shared house

Yes

Both stay in my room leant up against a radiator

No

If no, why is that?
    My landlord (and many others I have encountered) considers "bike storage" to be a small, damp garden shed round the back of the house that has a broken lock - although the door is so weak and filmsy a lock wouldn't stop anyone. Ok for a very cheap bike you don't mind getting stolen!

Being a rented house I am not allowed to screw/bolt anything to the walls in order to hang my bikes up.

Lack of space / floor space taken up by bikes

Get off, open door, Take bike through house to back garden to wash (if needed), bring bike into my room, slot up alongside other bike, remove items like co2 pump/canisters and release some pressure from the tyres (as bike is kept next to a radiator I always worry about having fully pumped up tyres and co2 canisters getting too hot!)
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    commuting, fitness, enthusiast

Seven

House

No

garage

No

If no, why is that?
    aren't any

fitting seven bikes and a car in a smallish garage

winter - clean bike, eat, sleep,drink
    summer - eat, sleep,drink
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Entusiast, fitness

Flat

Yes

In the cellar at work (across the street)

No (there are none)

If no, why is that?

Not having enough space for them at home. Having to walk down stairs to get them. Not really that much hassle.

Ride across the street to my workplace, take off shoes, negotiate the stairs to the cellar, lock up bike, put on "normal" clothes, go back upstairs, go home, stretch, eat, go to work / vegetate in front of the tv.