Decal / sticker removal

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited January 2011 in Workshop
The frame I've just bought on ebay has huge reflective stickers it and I cannot get the bastards off!
I've tried with a hair dryer for a while but this didnt seem to do much, Does anyone know of any good ways to get them off? Any useful products?.. I've tried elbow grease already.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Boiling water is another technique. What's the frame made of? I'm getting some race stickers off my car at the moment and a professional "wrapper" suggested petrol is as good as anything for getting the residue off (care obviously required).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Aluminium, Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them tonight
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I used boiling water, then the remaining glue came off with make up remover.
  • the glue will come off with nail polish remover (careful, might strip paint) alcohol (relatively paint safe) or even hair spray....WD 40 as well
  • Tried all of the above and non have worked so far, Ive soaked some rags in hot water and fairy liquid and wrapped them around the stickers overnight, Hopefully in the morning the stickers will be like mush and they'll just peel off.
  • Meths removes sticky residue from most things, without any paint damage.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Its done... Ended up using boiling water, a plastic scraper and nail varnish remover.
    Took about 90 mins...Glad its done and thanks for the help
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If you need to do it again, head down to the local car sprayers suppliers (not Halfords or that ilk but thise large pre-fabs on industrial estates with girlie calendars and full of people who speak indecipherable trade related gibberish that supply all the workshops) - they will be able to sell you trade only adhesive remover in small 100 ml bottles for next to nothing.

Once they've all stopped staring at this stranger who has enetred their domain they will be really helpful.

Again, all caveats re trying in a place where if it goes worng you can't see apply.

HTH

Y
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    a heat gun usually does the trick
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Yossie wrote:
    If you need to do it again, head down to the local car sprayers suppliers (not Halfords or that ilk but thise large pre-fabs on industrial estates with girlie calendars and full of people who speak indecipherable trade related gibberish that supply all the workshops) - they will be able to sell you trade only adhesive remover in small 100 ml bottles for next to nothing.

Once they've all stopped staring at this stranger who has enetred their domain they will be really helpful.

Again, all caveats re trying in a place where if it goes worng you can't see apply.

HTH

Y

Thats awesome