New to drops - Interruptor brakes on Marin Toscana disc?

MazzyStar
MazzyStar Posts: 2
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm looking for a sports hybrid/cyclo cross bike to replace my mountain bike, and so far the Marin Toscana seems to best meet my needs.

However, have pretty much never ridden a bike with drop bars so would feel a lot more confident with interruptor brakes fitted on the top while I get a used to the drops and a completely new braking position.

Another choice was the Giant TCX 2, which has these interruptors fitted, but wondering if it'd be possible to fit to the Toscana, which has cable disc brakes (Avid BB5)?

Alternatively, are there any standard brakes which give you a lot of braking power by just using the brake hoods?

I know once I get used to the drop bars I'll be a lot more comfortable as currently ride my flat bars holding them on the ends for a more comfortable wrist position.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    They can be fitted if the bike has BB5road calipers, but not if the bike has the bb5 as the cable pull will be wrong and they'll feel really woolly and not really stop you properly.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    i had a toscana (it was stolen)

when the brakes are set up correctly you'll get easy one-finger braking from the hoods, the braking effectiveness is far higher than rim brakes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny