10 speed ergo levers

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I have a 2008 Centaur groupset, 10 speed and I'd like to upgrade the ergo levers to the new ones, ideally the 2011 Veloce 10 speed as they are aluminium (and they're cheaper than Centaur). Basically I'd like to have the multiple shifting functionality and also I prefer them ergonomically...
Any issue? I am living on the assumption that Camapgnolo 10 speed ergo levers are interchangeable
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Nobody knows?

I assume it'll work then... and do I really really need the ultra shift cables or can I use any campagnolo compatible gear cable?
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I'm not so sure about multicog shifting in the rear for the 2011's. I believe that you can downshift (go up to more teeth) by 3 cogs at a time but upshift only by one cog at a time. Basically the Escape fiasco they did with some of the lower groups in 2007 and 2008. Not sure about the working for the FD though. Perhaps someone else can help you with that.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    I'm not sure about compatibility, but I guess it will work. Canamdad is right about the rear shifting for 2011, though. The front shifting didn't change a lot from 2010 to 2011 (function is the same, but internals has changed).

But if you want multiple upshift at rear, 2010 shifters are your best bet. Should be in stock some places. I'm now updated with places in the UK, but a cheap one in stock in Germany here: http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... -fach.html

I'm not sure whether you need UltraShift gear cables, but the shifters come with a full cable set, so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • PeterBL wrote:
    I'm not sure about compatibility, but I guess it will work. Canamdad is right about the rear shifting for 2011, though. The front shifting didn't change a lot from 2010 to 2011 (function is the same, but internals has changed).

But if you want multiple upshift at rear, 2010 shifters are your best bet. Should be in stock some places. I'm now updated with places in the UK, but a cheap one in stock in Germany here: http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... -fach.html

I'm not sure whether you need UltraShift gear cables, but the shifters come with a full cable set, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't necessarily require multiple upshift, but I've tried the downshift and found it useful in some circumstances...
    Anyway, the swap is mostly because of better shape, especially when wearing long gloves, but also because my ergos always had a lot of minor issues
    1) rattling... I've tried everything and rubber bands are the only solution
    2) the donshift on the left side tends to get jammed end needs help to come back up
    3) the rubber hood always gets out of its casing
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    The new shape levers can rattle as well, my left shifter (2010 Athena) does anyway. The 2006 Veloce shifters on my winter bike are fine though. Luck of the draw, it seems.
    Alex
  • As far as the FD goes, I would say they are compatible. Campag, I believe, changed the pull ratio when it went 'Quick Shift', and then afterwards dropped the 'QS' branding. If it is a 2008 FD, then it came after the change in pull ratio.

I would guess the RD would be compatible as well, but I would use the new Ultra Shift cables.

Campag do a compatability table in their Spares Catalogue. But I can never understand them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, only issue would be need to change cables - well gear cable outers as they are smaller diameter - mechs etc would remain compatible. Because you're using a multi-ratchet lever, then you have plenty of adjustment in comparison to the escapement mech.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ... but Peter BL says cables come withthe shifters, so that's not a big issue...

WOuldn't fancy the extra 23 punds for the cable set, although after more than 2 years it's probably time to replace them anyway

I know the rattling issue is a hit and miss... I hope after a hit there is a miss

I've ordered the shifters at Merlin... 76 pounds, well discounted over the retail price... look forward...
  • canamdad
    I converted to the new levers (2009 Veloce US) from 2007 Mirage. Campag will tell you that the US levers are not compatible with QS FD (because of the change in the pull arm of the FD). However, you can make it work. Sometimes attaching the cable up underneath the holding screw helps. I eventually just ebayed mine and bought the new compact/standard FD and it works very well indeed. I can't say I've ever gotten the rear shifter to work very well (it does multiple shifts up & down) but hopefully yours will work fine. Good luck!
  • canamdad wrote:
    I converted to the new levers (2009 Veloce US) from 2007 Mirage. Campag will tell you that the US levers are not compatible with QS FD (because of the change in the pull arm of the FD). However, you can make it work. Sometimes attaching the cable up underneath the holding screw helps. I eventually just ebayed mine and bought the new compact/standard FD and it works very well indeed. I can't say I've ever gotten the rear shifter to work very well (it does multiple shifts up & down) but hopefully yours will work fine. Good luck!

Not that my FD has ever worked particularly well, often overshifting when going to the small ring, despite sub millimeter adjustments of the screws and tension, plus the tedious issue with the downshift lever which tends to get jammed...
    As Monty says the ratchet seems to be a lot more forgiving, so I should be able to make it work fine and if not I can buy a new FD, which is not the end of the world
  • Hi - can you give us an update when you've done it,as I had exactly the same question - I'm upgrading from Mirage 2007 QS to Centaur 2010 ultrashift. After numerous searches on the WWW + a confirmation from someone who had actually done it - ultrashift levers will work with QS front der - no compatibility issues. The only problem is I haven't actually taken the bike in to get it done yet, just collected all the bits - including Ultrashift cables. I did also read about looping the cable underneath the holding screw - but I'm hoping it's just a straightforward swap over. Anyway - hoping you can confirm either way? Thanks
  • Hi,

I did the job last night... I don't see any compatibility issue with the FD, it seems to work just fine. Although the road will tell how good the shifting actually is.
    A few issues for future reference:

1) You need a star key to install the ergos, unlike the old ones which had a 5 mm Allen bolt. The size you need is T20. Halfords sell them for 5 pounds.

2) The gear outer cables are the hardest to cut I've ever come across in my life... make sure you have a strong pair of cable cutters

3) The loop you need to do to fit the gear cable through the holes is a straightforward operation, just make sure you do it at the end of the cable, so that you will cut away that (bent) bit anyway
  • So, would it be true to say that there have been three incarnations of Ergopower? The originals, the QS and the US? And would it also be true to say that there are no compatability issues across all of these versions of Ergopower in respect of the RD - only issues with the FD?
  • canamdad
    So, would it be true to say that there have been three incarnations of Ergopower? The originals, the QS and the US? And would it also be true to say that there are no compatability issues across all of these versions of Ergopower in respect of the RD - only issues with the FD?

Well, in 2011, there's now Power Shift for 10 speed. So since 2007, 3 different versions. I have read that there was an increase in RD return spring tension when they went from QS/Escape (QS was just a FD function) to US but I'm not sure that it's possible to confirm that. Quite a muddle really!
  • Thanks for feedback and tip, at least I don't have to fork out for a new Front Der
  • Having just installed some of the new Ergo cables I am inclined to think they ain't a whole lot different from the old ones, apart from the cost that is.
  • Ribble were selling them for £24, bought them just after Xmas, which is about the same as the older cables