Quicklink for Shimano HG-50

R8JimBob88
R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Morning folks,

I thought I would bob a quicklink in my new chain, the 8 speed HG-50 only to find that my SRAM link isnt compatible, apparently the pins are just a tad too short and wont close up.

Can anyone point me in the direction of on that will work with my chain?

Cheers 8)
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a suitable Sram link.

you need a silver one for an 8spd chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I already have the 8spd silver SRAM one, that's the one that doesn't work.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They do on mine. You have to get it all scrupulously clean and squeeze the sideplates together as you pull on the chain to get it to click in.

Alternatively, get hold of the appropriate KMC missing link; I've used them on 8 and 10 sp Shimano chains
  • I spent half and hour last night trying to get it to fit, it just wont budge. When comparing the length of the pins in the SRAM link the the spare pins that came with the chain, there is a small difference in length, the SRAM is slightly shorter.

I've ordered some KMC 8spd links now so hopefully these will be ok. I'll just glue the chain back toether in the meantime :lol:
  • Sounds like the link you`ve got is for 9 speed, they are very slightly narrower across the pins.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Looking around on t'interweb it appears that the Shimano 8 speed HG chain is a tad fatter than an SRAM 8 speed...this may be the source of your problems I feel.

You could try a KMC link as mentioned above, though it may or may not work, or failing that get an SRAM chain.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I had trouble getting a Sram 10sp black link on an Ultegra 10sp on a mates bike :cry: Got it on with industrial pliers but probably get him to swap it for a KMC before he rides it again in the spring. Interestingly my LBS had fitted 9sp gold Sram links to my bike when they fitted a new chain :shock: Interestingly this presented no problems, although I've now replaced the chian anyway and used a KMC 10sp link.

So would assume you'll be happy with the KMC's anyway :wink: