Look Keo Cleats

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Had these for about 4 or five rides before the nose of the red plastic cleat broke off. I'm guessing this isn't common though I've heard that they aren't very robust especially wear when walking. Any thoughts or suggestions before I just swap back to SPD?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Spd, Mavic Fury. Sorted.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Any thoughts or suggestions before I just swap back to SPD?

Lose weight :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Have you got coffee stop covers?
  • meanredspider
    Pokerface wrote:
    Any thoughts or suggestions before I just swap back to SPD?

Lose weight :lol:

That's one of my aims from cycling :roll: ! It's a bit of a circular arguement :wink:
    Have you got coffee stop covers?

No - but the design had been recently modified to include walking pads (grey inserts)

look-keo-cleats-med.jpg

The TPU pieces helps to reduce the chances of slipping while walking.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Yes they are great, they fall off and wear out in no time. Love Keo's but the cleats are a joke and made from cheese.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I get through a lot of cleats. Surprised another firm hasn't created a harder wearing alternative.
    exercise.png
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you need to walk any distance get some cleat covers. The non-slip rubber bits on the cleats wear out in no time. Cleats without those are cheaper as well (<£10).
    More problems but still living....
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    A single set of Keo cleats lasted me well over 1500miles, I didn't think that was too bad.

If I ever walk in them for more than a few steps, I use cleat covers.
  • My first pair lasted me something like 2500 miles (of cycling, not walking). Just replaced them and they were pretty mashed up but still worked ok. For the price, I thought they lasted ok.

The tip shouldn't break off tho - get back to the retailer, get a free replacement new pair and give them another go.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    for commuting they are pants. The continual dabbing of the foot at lights/obstruction rips the rubber bit off the front.

if Shimano can make a decent hardwearing cleat I don't see why Look cannot? Replacemet every 2-3 months is a no-no for me.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • meanredspider
    I only tried them because my Cayo came with them fitted by the PO. TBH I find clipping in more difficult. I hardly have to stop on my commute but there is a set of shallow steps I have to climb (or ride up when I'm in the MTB). The SPDs are heavier but the cleats have lasted 3000 miles for the same duty and are easier to clip in (double-sided). I'm not yet covering the sort of miles in a day (only 30) that I think a broader pedal might provide benefit - but they were there, I had to try them, but I'm relaxed about going back to SPDs.