Campagnolo groupset Reviews

elgordo
elgordo Posts: 13
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Why is so hard to find good reviews of group sets?. In particular, I mean Campagnolo groupsets. I dont mean just a quick rehash of the company spiel but a good test, showing any weaknesses and benefits of choosing say Veloce over Centaur or Athena over Chorus. How well does each groupset shift up and down at the rear and at the front, and comparisons to other manufacturers products.

I've been trying to find such reviews of the new Campagnolo 10 speed group sets and whether there has been any improvements made in 2011 or whether, like a few people on the forums seem to think, that Campagnolo has taken a major step backward.

I've been reading articles on Bike Radar for a few years now and bike reviews tend to emphasise the bikes handling characteristics and flex in the bottom bracket( I could never tell if 100% or 95 % of my power is going to my back wheel like some Bike Radar employees). The quick previews and product information available on BikeRadar for the 2011 groupsets showed me nothing really that Campagnolo's website didn't already.

My own personal opinion is that the Ultra Shift levers were Campagnolo's big advantage over Sram Apex and Rival and that it is Sram that Campagnolo should be worrying about. I'm not too concerned about Power Torque bottom brackets being introduced as I doubt anyone could tell the difference when on the bike,

My main gripe is that we are now at the end of January and the 2011 group sets have been out a while and there is no advice saying if these are an improvement or should we be rushing to buy the 2010 edition group sets with Ultra Torque and Ultra Shift. Surely it is a fundamental change by Campagnolo changing these systems. Or maybe its just me who is

Comments

• elgordo
    elgordo Posts: 13
    ...bothered.

My rant over. Too much time spent googling Veloce 2011 has sent me doolally.
  • minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    I had the same problem as you deciding between Veloce and 105: no Veloce 2011 reviews. All I could figure out was that they weighed the same (as a group).

Went for Veloce in the end. I couldn't make up my mind so I thought I'd try Campagnolo for a change and I thought it looked nice....

Not ridden it much due to bad weather so can't offer much feedback other that: it worked well.