Finally, it's coming

Wobblehead
Wobblehead Posts: 264
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Ordered first MB beginning of Dec, Cyclescheme delays over Christmas, finally pick it up next Sunday, can't wait.

Couple of questions, will a road lid be good enough, or do MTB lids differ?

Don't want to spend a deal on gear, was thinking of running leggins under padded shorts, will this be OK. Plenty of tecky tops etc and waterproof jackets so should be OK

Will road style boot covers be OK?

Big question, which gloves?

Comments

• for these conditions, then Fox Antifreeze. You'll stick out like a sore thumb without some baggy shorts over that lycra. I wear leggings and baggies over the top.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    A Road helmet should be OK but MTB helmets can give more coverage / protection. Its not necessary but if your current lid is getting old why not get another one.

Try Wiggles DHB stuff, good clothing at a reasonable price.
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    You'll stick out like a sore thumb without some baggy shorts over that lycra. I wear leggings and baggies over the top.

In the middle of winter I always wear baggies over tights but I've never really thought about the reasons. So why do Mountain Bikers wear baggies over tights, where as Roadies just wear tights?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think its because Roadies want to be more aero dynamic and "the look" is more accepted in the roadie world. While MTBing is usually slower so we care more about looking normal than being aerodynamic.
  • It's also a bit more protection when you crash, which happens more often offroad but maybe that's just me. :)
  • more protection from bits of tree hitting you when you ride past too, the whipping is never a good thing!!!!