Shimano freewheel SS cog: a bit cack?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2011 in The workshop
I took my bike back into Brixton Cycles yesterday after a hideous grinding noise that I couldn't fix by cleaning and greasing developed somewhere in the rear wheel drive mechanism. My suspicion was that it was hub related, but Brixton told me it was the freewheel. They replaced it with a new Shimano one and beyond the fact that the noise remains, albeit way quieter, it feels pretty duff. The response from the freewheel as you pedal from a stop or from freewheeling is not immediate. There is a split-second of nothing then a 'thunk' felt in the crank as the freewheel suddenly locks. It feels very much like when a chain is too slack and needs to tighten before forward drive occurs. My chain is perfectly tight and there was never any lack of immediate drive with my old freewheel.

I paid more for the Shimano than a generic freewheel, but I'm not impressed. Anyone else had this issue? I've asked Brixton to fish my old one out if the recycling bin and hopefully there is still life in it. If not I think I will have to find another make.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep that is pick-up lag. just about every hub in the world has some.

some less than others.

the less the lag the higher the frequency of the freewheel click. or buzz or scream.

screaming

http://www.youtube.com/user/nicklouse1? ... 6N8gVo3x0Q
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Interesting, thanks! Is that why Campagnolos make such a racket; they have very little lag?

I used to ride fixed, with obviously no lag, and when I went back to the original freewheel I didn't notice any lag. This Shimano, though is super clunky.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    The best SS freewheels are made by White Industries. They're expensive at £70 to £90 but really well made & fully serviceable with sealed bearings. The standard ones have 10 degree pick up, so almost instant, if that's not good enough they make a trials version (only in 18 tooth though) that has double the pick up points.
    They do have that whirry click sound though, the trials one especially but it is almost instant pick up.
    I personally just use the cheapo £7 Dicta ones with a fixed cog on the other side of my hub in case it fails when I'm riding.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Put a ss conversion on a halo superdrive hub, that's fairly instant pickup although they're very noisy when freewheeling.
  • Thanks lads. I'm not sure what freewheel I had on before. It was whatever Pearson do as standard on their Touche. Brixton have told me they'll fish it out of their recycling bin and I'll have it refitted (as I really don't think it's shot - it can only have done about 60 miles). If it's still no good I'll definitely look into a White Industries one.