New bike - how to clean and maintain?

RLyons
RLyons Posts: 67
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and returning from a long break from MTB'ing!

I'm picking up my new bike on Saturday (so excited!) and wanted to know what the best ways to keep it clean and in good working order are?

Is it OK to gently jet/hose the bike down straight after a ride? DO you then; Use WD-40? Oil? Let it dry then oil?

I normally hose down, let it dry over night then oil it again but I don't want to do any damage to my new bike!

Oh and I also wanted to know if any bedding/breaking in is necessary? It's a Genesis Altitude, rock shox tora and shimano hydro discs...

cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RLyons
    Thanks, I have already seen that, thought it was more for if you don't clean your bike often.

A good scrub down, dry with a rag then lube should do it then...
  • for me when I get in, its a hose down (don't use a jet wash) to get most of the cr@p off and then I bounce it on the ground to shake some water off. After that I give the chain a clean with some WD40 on a cloth, bending each link and cleaning it as I go, than just spin the cranks and hold the chain with the rag at the same time. Next, put some good quality wet lube on for these conditions (muc off wet lube for me as it stays quite clean and makes the chain cleaning stage easier). A drop on each link should do it. Leave the lube to soak into the links for at least an hour and then wipe off the excess with a clean rag by spinning the cranks and holding the chain.
  • RLyons
    Thanks for the info! I will do that then! Is there any need to put wet lube on before my first ride? I assume the bike will already good to go?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It can't hurt, always better too much than not enough.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    too much lube isnt good though.....you pick up more cack: better to have as little as possible while still...erm....lubing.

new chains come with some sort of dense lubricant on them, no? i try and leave this as long as possible as it doesent seem to pick up as much crap
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I got a £5 aldi garden sprayer similar to this http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/5-lit ... 2888-p.asp to have in the car for post ride hosedowns while the mud is still wet before putting the bike in the car then a proper hose down when i get home :D
  • RLyons
    BigLee1 wrote:
    I got a £5 aldi garden sprayer similar to this http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/5-lit ... 2888-p.asp to have in the car for post ride hosedowns while the mud is still wet before putting the bike in the car then a proper hose down when i get home :D

That's exactly what I was looking for! I take pride in my car so the thought of putting muddy bikes on the roof rack doesn't fill me with joy! Plus the fact mud comes off more easily when it's fresh. I think i'll have to invest!

I'm going to ride it straight off tomorrow and see how it goes, not doing a massive ride and just want to get used to the bike.

thanks for the info!